Need help with the starter

rhedayi

Cadet
Hello gang. I have a 96 bayliner trophy 2002 with the force 120. This weekend my boy and i went to Catalina island. Since purchasing this boat a year ago the starter has never acted up. Of course while at the island boat fails to start. Thankfully this happened in the harbor. We had a mooring so we were safe. However 30 miles from shore. Batteries are new. When i tried to crank the engine i could hear the starter spin. I pulled the cowling and can see the starter spin but the bendix? Gear doesn’t pop up. So i pry it up gently with screw driver from the bottom. I g try start again and it starts. It is not intermittent in its starting. I do some searching here and it seems the issue could be several things.
Electrical. Could be solenoid, corooded wires. Battery bad
Starter. Getting weak.

My batteries are new and one battery was used all day to start and run electronics. However the second battery was fully charged 12.65v and also made starter behave in the same manner. The battery switch is clean. No corrosion.

I’m guessing the starter is either going bad or the bendix is sort of sticky.

Attachments

• IMG_1028.jpeg
    IMG_1028.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1029.jpeg
    IMG_1029.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1031.jpeg
    IMG_1031.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

rhedayi

Cadet
My question is how do you clean this mechanism and lube it. When looking at the shaft i was thinking of putting a vise grip on the left side of the gear and spin the nut off but i wasn’t sure if that would bend the shaft. Is the nut on there in normal rotation? Or shall i use brake cleaner spray while the starter is upside down so as to not get it inside the starter? Then use sewing machine oil lightly

I may add the grease spins on there but isn’t very smooth and i can make it sort of stick in the up position.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Be careful when lubing the bendix. Too much grease can ruin it. One tiny bit of grease on the rubber up in the bendix will destroy it.
Clean the worm gear and lube it, just don't over do it.\
That starter is real easy to open and clean. You'd be surprised how much crud ends up in the bottom where the brushes and springs are. That can cause the starter to fail.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Remove the starter gear and clean the grooves with paint thinner or some other gentle solvent. Do not use acetone, or it will melt the varnish on the windings and ruin the starter.

Lube with motor oil and reinstall. Grease is usually too heavy, and causes the gear to stick.