Need help with my Tach-OMC

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I purchased a new teleflex tach, with 3 open terminals (Send, Ign., Gnd), simple enough.<br /><br />However, my old Tach had four wires going into the gauge, not labeled of course. The harness wires are Purple, Black, Navy, Gray.<br /><br />Navy, is to the Ign.<br />Black, my guess is Ground.<br />Gray, (from the directions goes to Send)<br />Which leaves the purple wire with nowhere to go.<br /><br />Any help?<br /><br />*Note this is to a 1986 Evin V6-150

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help with my Tach-OMC

Hi Top....<br /><br />In OMC stuff, the purple wire is always the ignition wire. Black is ground and gray is the lead from the tack. Confused as to the "navy" color. Blue, perhaps? This may be for lighting in the tack. Not real sure I say where this one goes.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks so much for getting back to me! Yeah actually the navy is coming off the I terminal on the Key Switch...<br /><br />Oh yeah! Navy as in Dark Blue.<br /><br />I left the Navy wire off and hooked the Purple to the Ign. on the Tach, when the key was switched on it Zeroed out. (so it seems all good)<br /><br />Still confused on the Navy as well. But Im going to hook the lamp up on its own circuit, or to the running lights. So we shall see.<br /><br />Anyone else feel free to comment on the Navy wire.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Use your VOM and see if the running lights switch puts voltage to the dark blue wire.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Uhh, i think you misunderstood me...<br /><br />The navy blue wire runs off the Ignition Key Switch (I terminal).<br /><br />It has nothing to do with the running lights.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

You're right, i did misunderstand.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty