Need help with mercury 20hp serial#/remote setup

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have a mercury 200 20hp that I would like to set up with controls. The motor is a tiller and already has electric start. First off, I am having trouble locating the serial number. After finding that I would like to buy the controls and cables that I need. I believe the motor is late 70's. Any help would be appreciated.

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Need help with mercury 20hp serial#/remote setup

Well I never could find the serial number,still looking for help on that,but by looking at some pictures I believe the motor is around a 1975.

I have found a remote attaching kit 46455-A2, I think this is what I would need, can anyone give me any insight on that?

As far as controls, should I be looking for the single lever "mercontrol" type?

merc850

Commander
Re: Need help with mercury 20hp serial#/remote setup

If it is a 1975 this is the type of control boxmercontrol2.jpg of that era, there are white ones too on ebay if you don't mind painting.My 1975 manual lists the kit as A-46455A3 so it will probably work.

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Need help with mercury 20hp remote setup

Well I never did figure out the year of the motor but I did some searching and it is a redband mercury so that should put it late 60's early 70's. I bought a redband era mercontrol box and with the attachment kit everything seemed to hook up fine. Only two problems any help would be appreciated.

1- Does not seem to go completely in reverse, maybe just an adjustment?

2- When the control lever is pulled back the motor goes forward and lever forward is reverse? Is this something in the box?

Laddies

Banned

All old style 20 hp engines use a differant box than the rest of the engines as the engines shift backward to all other Mercurys built
before 1982

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is there a way to switch something around so it shifts correctly?

Laddies

Banned

Not on the old style boxes, you might be able to change the cam and lever but I never tried as we always keep a 20HP box in parts.