Need help with identifying where this connects to (3.8L OMC)

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice
So I've been working on my engine and finally got it to started. Couple of things to work on however, I saw water coming out of a hose fitting on the engine. The hose fitting is mounted on the lower left hand side of the engine (if you're looking straight at the engine) in front of the the starter. My engine is a 1984 3.8L Chevy engine. I've looked on the net, seloc manual and can't figure out what this fitting is used for. I attached a picture and hopefully, someone can recognize it and let me know what this is used for..:confused:

Attachments

• IMG00020-20090713-1121.jpg
    IMG00020-20090713-1121.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00021-20090713-1125.jpg
    IMG00021-20090713-1125.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

buggiedad_67

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need help with identifying where this connects to (3.8L OMC)

looks like a drain **** to me or at least whats left of it

Dustin0330

Cadet

It's one of drains for the block there should be another one on the opposite side of the block and one on each exhaust manifold.

a70eliminator

Captain

I would loose that altogether and replace with a simple allen plug, that way come winter time you can easily remove the plug and stick a piece of wire into the hole to make sure it's clear.

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

So basically just plug it up and don't worry about it?

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

I would loose that altogether and replace with a simple allen plug, that way come winter time you can easily remove the plug and stick a piece of wire into the hole to make sure it's clear.

So where would I find these drain **** or simple allen plug? :confused:

GiMLit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same engine (not that it matters) and I used a couple threaded (pipe thread) plugs. Easily removed for winterizing. I think the idea with the allen plug is that it would fit flush, in the specific area you are speaking about there is not alot of room.

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same engine (not that it matters) and I used a couple threaded (pipe thread) plugs. Easily removed for winterizing. I think the idea with the allen plug is that it would fit flush, in the specific area you are speaking about there is not alot of room.

Would it be something like this? http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=34851-104-A737/PB109&lpage=none Anderson Barrows PB109 1/4" Brass Pipe Plug?

I'm assuming I'll have to remove the full drain **** out and just plug this in. Since you (GimLit) have the same engine, would I use 1\4" ? or what size would I use?

GiMLit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes just like that will work perfect. Size I can't recall but if I am not mistaken it is 3/8. Boat is outside and it is dark out so going to look won't help. If you run into anything you need better info for, I have an OMC manual (well worth buying) and I can scan pages if need be.