Need help with control cable lengths 79/80 Sea Ray

ajarvis

Cadet
I'm replacing all eight cables on my 79/80 Sea Ray Sedan Bridge. It has two stations and twin 350's so I have 4 throttle and 4 shifter cables. Of course mine are not the OEM cables. I'm sure they have been replaced a few times because they are all different lengths. Some are waaaay too long and some make some sharp bends because they are too short:mad:. I would like to have the new ones on hand before I snake the old ones out.
Does anyone have an idea of the OEM part numbers or the correct lengths for these cables. It looks like these would be Mercrusier Type 3600 cables. I have the hull number if that would help. Any imput would be a big help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need help with control cable lengths 79/80 Sea Ray

Ayuh,.... It's a 30 year old barge,...
Get out your tape measure,+ Measure to see what you need....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They usually have the size printed on the cable near one end. Some are written in inches, some in ft. If the cable is too long, just disconnect one end and pull the slack out and measure how much too long it is. Same if it's a bit short, disconnect one end and measure how much too short it is.
After doing this, pull one cable out and measure it. NOTE: the shift cable may be shorter or longer than the throttle cable. That is normal.

ajarvis

Cadet

Thanks for the information. I didn't know where the length would be printed on them. I'll strat in that direction. But hey, she's a nice old barge and worth th time. Take care.:D

Old Fish

Seaman Apprentice

I'm replacing all eight cables on my 79/80 Sea Ray Sedan Bridge. It has two stations and twin 350's so I have 4 throttle and 4 shifter cables. Of course mine are not the OEM cables. I'm sure they have been replaced a few times because they are all different lengths. Some are waaaay too long and some make some sharp bends because they are too short:mad:. I would like to have the new ones on hand before I snake the old ones out.
Does anyone have an idea of the OEM part numbers or the correct lengths for these cables. It looks like these would be Mercrusier Type 3600 cables. I have the hull number if that would help. Any imput would be a big help.

Hey nice to know someone has the same old barge I do. Got a ? for you. Does yours have A/C. And if so is the cooling unit out in the engine compartment right behind the dinette. Trying to figure out what that is back there. Also have fan unit under dinette chair