Need Help With bellows Lower Shift Cable

etbill52

Seaman
I'm trying to replace the bellow on the lower shifter cable on 1977
Mercury Mercruiser 165 HP in line 6cyl. I don't have a manual on it. How much of the out board do I have to take off to get to the end of the cable to slid the bellow on?:confused:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need Help With bellows Lower Shift Cable

the drive is removed first

MercMonster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just the drive can be removed to get to everything you will need to get to for replacing the cable bellows, but... Are all of your other bellows in good shape? Last time since they've been changed? If the shift cable bellows has gone bad, the others may not be far behind. Might be a good idea to do everything at once while you're in there. This bellows replacement guide might help you understand better what's involved.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

And,.....
Replacing the Shift Cable Bellows,+ Not the Cable,......

Is a recipe for Disappointment........

etbill52

Seaman

Just the drive can be removed to get to everything you will need to get to for replacing the cable bellows, but... Are all of your other bellows in good shape? Last time since they've been changed? If the shift cable bellows has gone bad, the others may not be far behind. Might be a good idea to do everything at once while you're in there. This bellows replacement guide might help you understand better what's involved.

Thanks everyone for your help, and MercMonster thanks for the link. I thank I will replace all while I have this down. This is my first stern drive, didn't know where to start on it. Thanks.:redface: