Need Help with an 86 or 87 Johnson 90 VRO

Parrot6909

Seaman
Ok.....I found a nice used boat, the owner isn't sure of the year of the engine, it is somewhere between and 85 and an 87 (he bought it used as well). It is a 90hp VRO, I can send a picture if that helps......anyway, before I purchase this, I want to know what I am getting myself into...Are there any problems with these motors? The trim and tilt is broken, he has a board supporting the engine for trailering because the motor support is broken....I can live without the trim and tilt, but how hard would it be (and how costly) to replace the motor support? Is this safe to just replace that piece and not the trim and tilt? I have a few other boats that I own, but I have never bought one with a used engine, nor have i ever owned an OMC/Johnson product. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Waterbugtoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need Help with an 86 or 87 Johnson 90 VRO

Ask that you be able to run it, check compression, and lower unit oil condition. If those all check out, then its likely a good motor. The trim problem depends on whats wrong exactly. It would be worth fixing.

Parrot6909

Seaman

I had the motor run yesterday, lower unit was fine as well. My main concern is the trim and tilt....I don't know if the motor works or not, he said it was broken and I didn't ask if the motor was running, it looks like it was pretty well rusted up (the outside of the piston, not the piston itself) and was painted with white OMC paint. <br /><br />If I didn't fix the trim and tilt (i am seeing prices of $425 for the unit) would it still be safe to trailer if i replaced the motor support?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Parrot,<br />The 90 HP engines are some of the best that OMC made. If you are considering buying it, do yourself a favor and check the compression first. It should be at least 100 PSI on all cylinders and within 10% of each other.This will determine the overall condition of the engine. Check the lower unit lube and check the condition. It should NOT look like "coffee with cream". That would be a sign that water is present in the oil, which would mean a leak somewhere in the lower unit. the fill/drain screws or worse, bad prop seals, Ect. Also, if you can test it on the water, that would be a plus. Just some things to look for! If you have a friend that is familiar with outboard motors, take him with you!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Oh Yeah, don't fret on the T & T. Just buy a transom saver for when you trailer it and it will be fine.

Waterbugtoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sure it would be safe, but the tilt/trim is an important feature that shouldnt simply be discarded. If funds are tight thats one thing, but tilt/trim is almost a neccessity since most of us are spoiled with it.

Parrot6909

Seaman

Unfortunately $$ is a bit tight right now....I would eventually replace it, but probably not for a year or two. Thanks for the responses! <br /><br />I am going to bring it to my mechanic to have a look before I hand over the $$....just to get his opinion, but any other suggestions/comments would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Parrot.... At the very least, the engine is 16 years old and obviously has been neglected. You're aware that the PTT is defective, and that the engine support is broken. This fact would make me wonder just what else is defective that the owner(s) wouldn't bother to correct.<br /><br />The original VROs that came into existence in 1984 had no warning system at all (no wires leading from the back of the VRO to a plug connector). The first warning system had only three wires and would give out a false warning. The second type waring system had four wires, and has been superceeded many times. The price of a new VRO approaches $300.00 . Something to keep in mind. General checks of an engine follow. Your engine is a crossflow engine so ignore any references to the looper engines.<br /><br />(General Engine Checks)<br /><br />First, check the compression. It should be approx 100+ psi and even on all cylinders. On some V/6 looper engines, the starter bendix will kick out if all of the spark plugs are removed. If this takes place, leave the spark plugs in, excepting the cylinder you're checking of course.<br /><br />NOTE..... If leaving the spark plugs in while you're checking the compression (V/6 Loopers), make sure that the ignition key is in the "OFF" position. You do not want that engine to start while you're doing that test. <br /><br />Next, with the s/plugs removed, check the spark. It should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue flame on all cylinders. (The s/plugs must be removed in order to obtain the highest rpm available).<br /><br />Check the continuity of the ignition coils. Remove the primary orange wire from whatever it's connected to. It may be connected to a powerpack screw type terminal, a rubber plug connector, or it may simply plug onto a small boss terminal of the coil itself.<br /><br />Connect the black lead of a ohm meter to the spark plug boot terminal, then with the red ohm meter lead, touch the ground of the coil or the powerhead itself if the coil is still installed.<br /><br />Then touch (still with the red lead) the orange wire if it's attached to the coil, or if it's not attached, touch the primary stud of the coil. You should get a reading on both touches (contacts). If not, check the spring terminal inside the rubber boots of the spark plug wire. Poor or no continuity of a coil is one reason for s/plug fouling.<br /> <br />When removing the spark plugs, make a note of which s/plug came from what cylinder. They should all look alike, but if not, that difference should lead a mechanic in a certain direction.<br /> <br />Remove the spark plugs, then insert a screwdriver or some such object into the cylinder, and have it rest on top of the piston. Do not apply pressure to the screwdriver yet. You simply want to know where the piston is. Now, turn the flywheel by hand and get the piston to come up to dead top center, then drag it down about 1" by turning the flywheel. Now, hold the flywheel tightly and apply pressure to that screwdriver or whatever object you're using. If you can move that piston without moving the flywheel, that indicates that there is play in either the wrist pin area or at the crankshaft to connecting rod area. <br /><br />If the engine has been sitting for any length of time (a month or more), there's a very good possibility that the carburetor(s) are somewhat fouled/clogged/gummed. If so, they'll require removing, cleaning, and rebuilding.<br /> <br />Remove the carburetor face plate. Observe the carburetor(s) while you pump the fuel primer bulb. If fuel flows out of the carburetor(s), they will require removing, cleaning, and rebuilding.<br /><br />At the lower portion of the lower unit, there will be a large slotted screw. Loosen that screw to see if the unit has good lube, and to check for metal filings and water. Small fuzzy filings is acceptable. Sliver and/or splinter type slices/chips of metal are not! Water would indicate that the unit has faulty seals. The lower unit requires filling from that large slotted bottom screw until the lubricant flows out of the like screw higher up in the lower unit.<br /> <br />Check, while under way, that the engine engages both forward and reverse properly, and that the engine does not jump out of forward gear at a high rpm.<br /> <br />If the engine is on a boat, check the steering to make sure that the steering rod moves in and out freely, and that the engine swivels freely in even degrees in each direction.<br /> <br />When running the engine, pulling each s/plug boot terminal off of the s/plugs should result in a even rpm drop through out.<br /> <br />Check that the PTT assy runs the engine up and down smoothly... and that it doesn't drift down on its own.<br /> <br />(As I think of more, I'll tweak this list)

Parrot6909

Seaman

Great info, thanks! I didn't realize there was so much involved in buying a used engine. I truly appreciate all responses!