Need help with a project...

Bryant Davis

Cadet
Ok here goes...About a year ago I built a barge. (For those who aren't familiar, it's basically a floating small house which there are about 20 on the local lake). It is 50' long by 25' wide and floated by 24 styrofoam 4X8X2 blocks. I decided (after seeing a few others) that I am going to put an outboard motor on it to be able to cruise down the shore lines and around the lake much like a house boat. I have bought a 93 model 90hp Evinrude which with the correct prop should get the job done. Here is my question...I have found a console for sale on Ebay which is what I would like to use for all my controls, steering, etc. Is it possible to wire all the gauges, ignition, etc straight to the motor and do away with the control box assembly I got with the motor? In addition, this console has a place for a binnacle top mount throttle control. Will any type work or does it need to be specific to my motor? Don't they make those controls with two levers one being for clutch and the other throttle??<br /><br />Any advice, comments, helpful hints that will make this project go smoother are GREATLY appreciated! Thanks<br /><br />-Bryant

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need help with a project...

Howdy, Bryant. Welcome to the board.<br /><br />I don't see how a 90hp outboard is going to be able to control a 50'X25' barge in even a slight breeze. <br /><br />Really BIG ships have steering motors mounted on either side of the bow to help them turn and to control drift at low speeds. Maybe a couple of bruiser electric trollers mounted on the "bows" and remote controlled would allow you an acceptable amount of control.<br /><br />Another issue: you would need TX boat registration and full USCG lighting as soon as you put power on it, if you don't have them already. You need to look up the regs for 50' power boats in TX.<br /><br />The whole thing sounds really imaginative but very impractical to me.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

rogerwa

Commander
Re: Need help with a project...

Wouldn't it need some sort of keel to allow it to turn and not just slide sideways?<br /><br />Also, would propulsion and the turnbulence of the moving water accelerate the degeneration of the styrofoam, or is it encased in something?