Need Help with a 1968 65hp Evinrude Select 4

Parrot6909

Seaman
Ok, I just purchased a beautiful old boat...1966 West Wind (out of business a long time ago) and it came with a 1968 Evinrude 65hp Select 4 motor. There have only been two owners of the boat, one for approx 30 yrs and another for about 4yrs. The last owner was a marine mechanic, but unforutantely had an accident and subsequently passed away. The boat has been sitting for about two years, always garage kept and the motor except for some fading looks like the day it was rolled off the assembly line.<br />Ok, so now to the questions.....The motor hasn't been started in about two years and was not winterized since the accident occurred in September of 2000. The motor inside is clean as a whistle, the original prop is still on the boat, not a spot of rust anywhere other then near the spark plugs.....What do I need to do to get it up and running again? I didn't try to start it because I didn't want to do any damage to the motor. The boat and motor are in mint condition, pully steering and all. I would like to keep the motor that is on the boat since it is a classic now and looks really nice with the boat. Any comments would be appreciated!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Need Help with a 1968 65hp Evinrude Select 4

double posts r not helpful.... trust your eyes<br />and fire her up! if it runs great, it's worth a<br />few bucks, if it's toast it's not worth dink!

Parrot6909

Seaman
Re: Need Help with a 1968 65hp Evinrude Select 4

It looks just like it. The only difference is the lower unit is a gold in color......But the manual says its a 1968...I will have to take a look at it and let you know! Thanks! I hope she run's, my wife is going to kill me if it doesn't!