Need help winterizing......

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1979 MFG Superbass with a 25hp Johnson Seahorse Engine. I've read some many conflicting tutorials on winterizing. I've had the boat for 6 years and this will be the 1st year I have to store it outside.

Is there a good tutorial for small boats with small outboards what would work for me? A few things I plan on doing are filling the gas tank and adding sta-bil. I also plan on storing the gas tank in my garage which is heated. I'm also going to store teh battery in my garage as well. my biggest concern is the boat motor itself. What is the proper proceedure for assuring that there is no water left in it that would cause problems. I plan to store it with the motor down (only way I can fit it under my carport). And I also plan on jacking the trailer up to get the weight off the wheels.

I do not have muffs for the 1979 Johnson. It doens't take traditional muffs. It has that odd rear intake and I've never been able to find muffs that would work. So I'll have to use a barrel of water if I need to run it.

Do I run it on a barrel with stabilzed fuel and then pull the fuel line to burn off whats left in the carb? Do I then pulls the plugs and stray deep creep in the cylinders? How much?

Anyway, as you can tell I'm quite confused. Any help would be apprecaited.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help winterizing......

Since you are in West Virginia, you will have a short winter. Run it in a barrel of water, for a few minutes, with the stabilized fuel. Now spray some fogging oil into the carb and you should see lots of smoke. If you can stall her with the fogging oil, that will be good. If not, get a good smoke going and then kill the motor. Drain and remove the barrel. Put the motor in the upright (running) position. Let her drain well. Pull the rope or run the starter a few seconds to expel any water trapped in the water pump. Now change the gear lube and pump up the grease fittings. Lube the steering rod. A light wipe of the powerhead with motor oil is a good idea. Now store as you suggested.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

The water will drain by itself if the engine is vertical. Nothing to worry about there. I would put a trickle charger on the battery to maintain it during the winter. Do what you said with the engine- add the stabilizer and run it to empty the carbs, then fog the cylinders. Pull the plugs and spray fogging oil in the cylinders and then turn the engine over by hand a few times to distribute the oil. You are doing the right things so far but I would also drain the lower unit oil and refill with fresh to assure no moisture is in the gearcase.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just another thougtht - 25 hp is pretty small and still somewhat portable. You might consider taking it off and storing it in the basement/coat closet. Not only will it not freeze, but it keeps a few months of weathering off it as well.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The only thing I do to winterize my outboard is change the lower unit oil. Running Stabil in your last tank for the year is a good idea as well.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I apprecaite it. Never thought about pulling the motor and storing it in the garage. That might actually work. I'll check into it. What is the best way to store a motor? Do I need to build some type of stand that simulates a transom or can I just lean it in the corner on the skeg?

Draining the lower unit and refilling makes sense. I'll be sure to do that as well.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What is the best way to store a motor? Do I need to build some type of stand that simulates a transom or can I just lean it in the corner on the skeg?

With as top heavy as they are, too great a chance of it falling down and cracking the cowl or something. I'd build a stand. (even if the "stand" is a 2x4 screwed to the wall)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Freezing temps are not an issue for an outboard, I wouldn't go through the work of removing it and storing it differently when there is almost no benefit. The biggest issue is just to make sure some of the stabil gas is through the system. Don't overcomplicate things by pulling fuel lines, that will just cause the seals in the carb to dry out and crack quicker.