"need Help Very Badly"

sluketic

Cadet
First of all I am working on a 1989 alpha 1 mercruiser, need to replace the shift cable bellow and most likely the other bellows also. I got the drive off and was working on getting the shift cable out and stripped the retaining nut inside the bell housing completely round, tried to chisel it around but no luck. Does anyone have and ideas how to get this nut out of the bell housing with out having to buy a new housing, I know I need a new shift cable, would really like to save the housing. Please let me know of any tricks or whatever I can do to get this nut out.

Thank you,

Scott

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: "need Help Very Badly"

Do you have the special tool (socket) to remove/install the cable?....
If you intend to replace the ujoint bellows anyway, I would reccomend that you hacksaw the shift cable off & cut the bellows off & totally remove the bell housing.....
Soak the nut with Kroil.....
I would still try to get the tool on there....
If not, you will need to drill it & use an EZ out......;)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

That might work, but it is a tight fit with regard to the thickness of the tool....
There is not alot of room between the nut & the bell housing....;)

qystan

Petty Officer 1st Class

This happened to my drive.

Not much option left except to use the drill. The easy-out did not help.

Used a round file to get down to the top of the threads and a 90 degree sharp pick to get them out of the housing. Remember the threads are tapered, so do not file the hole sides parallel.

The brass and aluminium colours are not very discernable, both will be real shiny, so need to look carefully to know when you've reached the threads. Use a tap to clean out the threads when done.

When done, possibly the threads might not seal fully as they won't come out unscathed, apply a coat of permatex or Loctite thread sealer (not thread locker). Also hels to keep the water out of the threads to keep corrosion away for your next removal.

Do it real patiently, slowly and carefully or you lose all the threads if you let the file run loose.

Good luck.

Qystan

gugie

Cadet

Yep just finished removing all the bellows including fighting for several days trying to figure out how to remove the shift cable from the gimble housing without spending a small fortune for a "special" socket. Priced these and dealer wanted $70.00 and another place wanted $39.

This suggestion may not help you get the old one off but it will help in getting the new on on.

So here's how I did it... Take a 9/16 deep socket (Important note is to get a 6 side socket) (This socket alone is not deep enough as the plastic tube extends through the ratchet square hole) Using a grinder I grinded 6 flat spots on the top sides of the 9/16 socket allowing a 6 sided 3/4 socket to fit over the top of this. This allowed me to use another socket over the top of the 9/16 deep socket. This worked like a charm. As a added precaution I also thinned down the walls of the socket just a little.
Tomorrow the assembly starts.........
Tom

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Yep just finished removing all the bellows including fighting for several days trying to figure out how to remove the shift cable from the gimble housing without spending a small fortune for a "special" socket. Priced these and dealer wanted $70.00 and another place wanted $39.

This suggestion may not help you get the old one off but it will help in getting the new on on.

So here's how I did it... Take a 9/16 deep socket (Important note is to get a 6 side socket) (This socket alone is not deep enough as the plastic tube extends through the ratchet square hole) Using a grinder I grinded 6 flat spots on the top sides of the 9/16 socket allowing a 6 sided 3/4 socket to fit over the top of this. This allowed me to use another socket over the top of the 9/16 deep socket. This worked like a charm. As a added precaution I also thinned down the walls of the socket just a little.
Tomorrow the assembly starts.........
Tom
That pretty much sums up the configuration of the special tool.....;)
Whoever tried to get $70.00 is a crook.....:mad:
You can get 'em on ebay for about $15.00.........:rolleyes: