Need help to identify Perko strainer basket replacement

GeoDosch

Recruit
I have a broken strainer basket, though I'm having trouble identifying the correct replacement for it. I've been in contact with Perko support, and have exchanged several emails, though so far the information they're giving me isn't adding-up.

The boat is a 1988 SeaRay 340 Sundancer with 350 Crusaders. I'm fairly certain these are the original strainers. This season I was having on overheating issue on the port engine, and while inspecting the cooling system (freshwater), I noticed the strainer for the raw water intake was leaking. That could account for the overheating, since the raw water pump may not have been able to maintain sufficient suction due to the leak.

I opened the top access cover and discovered the 'loop' handle on the basket was broken off. Upon removing the basket, I found the bottom piece was also separated from the basket itself. My theory is that when the yard winterized the boat, they didn't properly position the basket (when you drop it in, you need to move it around until it drops-in that last 1/2" or so. They may have then tightened the cover hold-down nuts, which both broke the basket and also preventing the cover from sealing properly. Having said all that, I now need to replace the basket.

I first brought the remains of the basket home, thinking it would be an easy task to measure it and find the same-sized replacement. However, when I look at the sizing chart on the Perko site, nothing matches-up. As best as I can tell, the outlet line is 1-1/4" OD. But the basket size for that is 2-5/8 x 6-1/4, which would be too big to fit into my strainer, which has a 2-5/16" opening. The OD of the clear cylinder is 4-3/8", and is about 5" high.

There is a label on the side of the strainer with a UL marine logo, and marked "Listed Water Strainer 858E", as well as "FIG 493/500 Series Water Strainer". I gave those numbers to Perko, but was told that's a UL code, and doesn't help identify the strainer model #.

If anyone has suggestions on what I should do next, or have any knowledge regarding this strainer, I would be most grateful. It's possible it's an older strainer that Perko no longer carries, so maybe someone with a similar vintage boat might be able to shed some light.

Thanks in advance!

-George

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I first brought the remains of the basket home, thinking it would be an easy task to measure it and find the same-sized replacement. However, when I look at the sizing chart on the Perko site, nothing matches-up. As best as I can tell, the outlet line is 1-1/4" OD. But the basket size for that is 2-5/8 x 6-1/4, which would be too big to fit into my strainer, which has a 2-5/16" opening. The OD of the clear cylinder is 4-3/8", and is about 5" high.
Hose/pipe sizes are listed by ID, not OD.
You 1-1/4" OD hose is most 3/4" Pipe
There is a label on the side of the strainer with a UL marine logo, and marked "Listed Water Strainer 858E", as well as "FIG 493/500 Series Water Strainer". I gave those numbers to Perko, but was told that's a UL code, and doesn't help identify the strainer model #.

Perko Basket Strainer, Raw Water Intake, 493 Series, 99D, 3/4"
SKU: 532149-3/4"

Mfg# 49300599D

LFS# PKO049300599D

UNIT: Each
Description of Part: Basket Strainer - 99D
blue-bullet.jpg
Fits Model(s): 0493005PLB
blue-bullet.jpg
Pipe Size: 3/4"

1663616239211.png

Last edited:

GeoDosch

Recruit
@dingbat thanks for the detailed reply. But sizes are still not matching-up.

When I said I measured the OD of the outlet, what I measured were the OD of the male threads that went into the fitting on top of the strainer, which would mean that the ID female threads on the strainer would also be 1-1/4".

Going by the chart in my link, regardless of what pipe size I pick, none of them agree with the size of my strainer:
Pipe SizeCylinder SizeBasket Size
3/4"3-1/2 x 61-13/16 x 6-1/4
1"4-1/2 x 5-1/22-5/8 x 5-7/8
1-1/4"4-1/2 x 62-5/8 x 6-1/4

My cylinder size, as closely as I can measure it, is 4-3/8"OD x 5" high, and the basket is 2-3/8" x 5-5/8" high. And the cover opening is 2-5/16.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
@dingbat thanks for the detailed reply. But sizes are still not matching-up.

When I said I measured the OD of the outlet, what I measured were the OD of the male threads that went into the fitting on top of the strainer, which would mean that the ID female threads on the strainer would also be 1-1/4".
Size is identified by the diameter of the through hole in the fitting, not the outside diameter of the thread size.

A 1-1/4 pipe thread is 1-5/8” in diameter
1” pipe is 1.3” in diameter
3/4” pipe is 1.05” in diameter

Last edited:

GeoDosch

Recruit
1” pipe is 1.3” in diameter
I measured 1.3" across the threads, so I must have a 1" pipe. Thanks, that was very helpful.

So looking at the specs for the 1" inlet, the cylinder size seems right-- It's not easy to get in there to measure, so there's going to be a fudge factor on my measurements. But what bothers me is that the basket for that size seems like it would be too wide to fit through the access port.

I suppose I could order that size, and return it if it doesn't fit.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Are you sure you have Perko? Thought Sea Ray used Groco in 88

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Buy two new seacock strainers. Parts have changed in the last 35 years

GeoDosch

Recruit
I went ahead and ordered the part# that Perko support recommended, even though from the measurements it seemed like it would be too big. Once I received it I could see that it was the same size, though also realized the reason for the discrepancy in the dimensions: the new basket is flared at the top, so while the diameter of the main body of the basket is 2-3/8", if you measure at the top where it's flared, it's 2-5/8", which is the listed dimension. Because my old basket was damaged, the flared portion was pretty much non-existent.

But now I've got another issue (because of course this can't be easy...) The base of the new basket is plastic, and there's a raised portion in the center which fits over a raised nub at the bottom of the strainer. That raised part in the center is twisted to one side. It may be that it was subjected to heat and the plastic softened and deformed. I have not yet tried to install it, but I don't know if that will interfere with its operation. I contacted the seller on Amazon to see what they say. I won't be back to the boat until this weekend at the earliest.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Not that it might help you now…but I was recently replacing the water pump on an overheated 5.7 port engine of a searay 340 shaft drive. Had the identical strainer system. Someone had done the exact same thing and thought the lid was tightened down properly. It wasn’t and didn’t have a seal enough to keep its prime and allow water to be pumped. I was lucky and got away with repositioning the strainer properly and getting a good seal on the lid. But that’s what caused the over heat at start of season. Funnily enough, after a yard winterised attempt. The AF was still sitting in the strainer bucket and not gone anywhere