Need help/suggestions on new prop

JALBERS

Recruit
I have a 2003 183ss with the 4.3 merc alpha 1. It currently has a 3 blade 14 1/4 x 21 prop. The only other marking on it says "turbo". I'm looking for a prop for a better hole shot to get water toys up faster. Probably a 4 blade. Not worried about losing a little speed on the top end. What size and pitch should I look for?

Thanks for your help

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have a 2003 183ss with the 4.3 merc alpha 1. It currently has a 3 blade 14 1/4 x 21 prop. The only other marking on it says "turbo". I'm looking for a prop for a better hole shot to get water toys up faster. Probably a 4 blade. Not worried about losing a little speed on the top end. What size and pitch should I look for?

Thanks for your help
What is your current WOT rpm performance ? Yes 4 blade will help with water toys. I have run four blades on my last two boats because my use is entirely loaded down watersports.

I assume your current prop is SS as it is made by Turbo ? There proably are marking inside the hub by the flange where nut holds it to prop shaft

JALBERS

Recruit
What is your current WOT rpm performance ? Yes 4 blade will help with water toys. I have run four blades on my last two boats because my use is entirely loaded down watersports.

I assume your current prop is SS as it is made by Turbo ? There proably are marking inside the hub by the flange where nut holds it to prop shaft

I'm running about 4400 rpm. Owners manual says max should 4400-4800.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if going to a 4 blade, adding a blade, will drop your RPM. I would drop down in pitch to bring your RPMs up.

you are currently at a 3-blade, 21p. I would shoot for a 4-blade, 19p. work with your local prop shop. they may have a prop for you to try.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Agree with Scott here, try a 19" four blade. Some run in even pitches.

If you wanted an inexpensive prop to try I had good luck with Michigan Vortex 4 blade props, was a cheap way to cut my teeth with prop swapping.

If you want to go stainless I have had really good luck with a Merc Revolution 4 but they are pricey props that have a lot of bite. They are available in inch increments so best if you can find a prop shop to let u try before you buy. Also had good luck with a mercury Vensura (aka Offshore).

If you prop it so you are close to 4800 at WOT you will have best performance in terms of acceleration and throttle response.