Need Help Stiff Steering

ghostrider

Seaman
My steering is very stiff as I must actually muscle with the wheel to turn the boat and I must hold the wheel with force when just cruising. What is the cause and what can I do to ease this problem????? Thanx in advance!<br />Ghostrider

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need Help Stiff Steering

'Mornin'Ghostrider,<br /><br />I'm a bit confused by your post. Is she "pulling" hard to one side or the other OR is she just stiff to move.<br /><br />Is this a new problem or something that has existed for a while?<br /><br />If she's pulling, you can trim it out with the tab on the bottom of the Anti-ventilation plate.<br /><br />If it's stiff, disconnect/loosen the steering rod from the tube and determine if it's the steering mechanism or if the motor pivot is stiff. <br /><br />If it's the steering mecanism/cable, you godda CLEAN and lube the stearing cable, rod, etc.<br /><br />Good Luck<br />HAVE FUN!

ghostrider

Seaman
Re: Need Help Stiff Steering

Thanx for the info Klondike7. You're right about the steering mechanism. The grease on the steering rods is pure stiff gunk. I'm going to clean it off and re-lube the rod system.<br />I see you're from Indy. I'm from (land locked) Naptown. thanxs for your help!!!!! <br />Ghostrider :cool: ;)