Need help selecting prop for the MARY E

Macamato

Cadet
Good morning all you good buddies,

To bring you up to date, we have now obtained and are in the process of assembling two 26" x 24' plus two 21" x 18' pontoons into a vessel on which we will mount our slide in pickup camper to use to celebrate our 50th anniversary next fall by cruising up and down the Mississippi River.

(We have decided against going down the Ohio due to all the locks and dams involved. Thank you all for your valuable information and advice.

We have now purchased a 1988 Mercury Classic 50 in mint condition for the primary power source. We will also have on board one of our 25hp Mercs as a spare in case somethin happens to the Classic 50.

The prop that came with the Classic 50 is 14P which I fear is a bit too agressive for the vessel we are planning to push.

Can you suggest what pitch I should purchase for this vessel? I would keep the 14P on board for a spare.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely
Macamato.

P.S.
Here is a picture of my bride laying the keels for the MARY E.

Attachments

• Copy of Mary E Keels 005.jpg
    Copy of Mary E Keels 005.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help selecting prop for the MARY E

The best way is to test it with the 14.Surely too much prop but it will give you base numbers to work with so you can select a prop to put you in the correct rpm range.Without rpm figures you could shorten the life of your motor,waste fuel and get poor performance. My guess is an 11" pitch try to get a 4 blade intended for pontoon applications.

mltitlntd

Cadet

I don't know much about props, but your trip idea sounds exciting. Will you be blogging?

Steven Flynn
New Orleans, LA

Macamato

Cadet

Thank you Steelespike.

I will take your advice and test the 14 prop then get back to you for futher advice and counsel. It may not be until next spring when we hopefully will have the MARY E completed and ready to launch.

Mltitlnltd, we are not onto blogging but will keep this form up to date on our progress.

This is an awesome forum for pilgrims like us and we really appreciate all the efforts of the moderators and contributors.

I have a question about the Classic 50 we purchased. There is a small diameter plastic tubing coming up from the lower unit sticking out the side under the pivot hinge. It has a plug in the end. Does anyone know what this is and should I be concerned about it not being hooked up to anything?

Thank you.

Macamato