need help reading a flasher

I have a flasher on the front of my boat with the transducer on the trolling motor. I have no idea how to read it but I hear flashers are the best fishfinders you can have. Any help would be appreciated.

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: need help reading a flasher

Yes, they are hard to deciper. When the little light spins around the dial it will flash opposite a number once on each rotation. The number opposite the flash denotes an object, usually the bottom, at that depth. Got it?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Each flash is a sonar return, in real time.<br /><br />this might help:<br />First read this Sonar Tutorial <br /><br />Then download an Eagle FishFinder Emulator <br /><br />the Fishmark 320 & Fishmark 480 display a flasher-type return on the far right hand edge of the screen. If you check out the emulator, you'll see the flasher return at the same time as the graph. Might help you figure out what you're seeing on the flasher.<br /><br />I completely disagree about a flasher being best.

I know it has two knobs on it also it is an Eagle. One says 60/30 and the other is where you turn it on and of but it also turns further and does something to it. I think that I understand now kinda how it works do you know what this other knobs are and what they do? I bought this boat this summer from one of my dads friends and he talked about it so fast I did not understand how it worked. This is the first flasher I have ever had or used, well I don't use b/c I dont know how.

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know about your particular model, but the on -off knob might also adjust the gain(sensitivity). The other knob is probably for adjusting power output*30 or 60 watts)

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

30 or 60 are the scales. ie 0-30 scale or 0-60 scale for 360 deg on flasher. on off is also gain.<br />Usually thickest/deepest blip is bottom Blips between surface and bottom = fish or structure.After u go thru tutorial posted above u will be able to tell fish from structure as well as even type of bottom.(rocky/sandy/muddy etc)<br />Good luck