Need Help Please

cmyers72

Cadet
My brother inlaw and I just pick a boat for free. It is in great shape. it is a 1985 Sea Sprite Coninental mark 3. It has a GM four cylinder. I can't find any information on the sea sprite just wonder if they went out of busness.<br />the boat was last in the water in 1995. they guy said when he put it away it worked. and the last time he went to check it over it would turn over. I hope it isn't seezed up I haven't tryed it yet. I would like to know where I could get manuels for this boat.<br />also the sterring is frozen should I replace that and how do I know what to get. I have a lot of other ??? but I will see what to do with the one I asked. thanks for any help anyone can give me

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Need Help Please

MIC: SSB Status: Out of Business <br />Company: UNITED MARINE CORP Company Official: EDDE, JOHN <br />Parent Company: UNITED MARINE CORPORATION Parent MIC: UMA <br />Address: PO BOX 319 City: WATSEKA <br />State: IL Zip: 60970 <br />Country: Phone: 8156832155 <br />Fax: 8156832389 In Business: 10/17/1972 12:00:00 AM <br />Out of Business: 4/28/2001 12:00:00 AM Date Modified: 2/28/2001 12:00:00 AM <br />Type: Outboards, Open Motorboats, Jon BoatsInboard/Outboard, Sterndrive, Inboard/Outdrive Additional Address: FACTORY LOCATION: 1657 EAST HWY 24 WATSEKA IL 60970: custserv@unitedmarine.com <br />Comments: CURRENT PER MSO LOU 16765 910301. REPORTED TO HAVE BOUGHT MARK TWAIN INDUSTRIES 910708 (MTM). 04/28/01 STATUS CHANGE: OLD ADDRESS PO BOX 80 HWY 24 EASY CRESCENT CITY IL 60928 SEA UMA. PRODUCES ALL BOAT UNDER UMA

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need Help Please

cmyers72 - First welcome - You are embarking on a trip that will yield you much joy and probably a bit of frustration here and there. I began my trip to the world of boating over 40 years ago.<br /><br />Now to your post. You may luck out on a manual for your boat but don't get your hopes up - it might not do you much good anyway. I would suggest that you pull the plugs and squirt some Marvel Mystery oil into each cylinder and let it sit for a couple of days. Then, still with the plugs out, turn the motor over by hand or use a socket wrench on the front of the crankshaft. <br /><br />Get a new marine starting battery - or use any high capacity battery fully charged and connect it. Don't try to start it yet.<br /><br />You will need to get every drop of gas out of the lines, fuel pump, filters and tank. Old gas will most likely not run and if by chance it will it will probably foul the carb. Connect some fresh fuel - install the plugs. Put some muffs on a hose & attach to your water pickup - turn the water on - and see if it will fire up.<br /><br />If it starts you will then need to do a complete service to the motor and outdrive - don't forget a new water pump.<br /><br />Don't fuss with the steering or other stuff till you get it running.<br /><br />Lotsa other stuff but you have enough to keep you busy for a while. Keep us posted.<br /><br />P.S. Might want to visit the I/O section of this site for lotsa info on your motor & outdrive. Get used to using the search function at the top of the page. Many/most questions have already been asked and answered.