Need help!! - paint an dents on an aluminum boat??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickl

Cadet
I've recently bought a 1969 16ft Sea?? aluminum boat. The bottom has several layers of paint and I would like to remove most of the layer if not all before I spray new primer and paint. The boat also has several dents and would like to remove or at least make them look less noticable. Does anybody have any experience or suggestion??<br /><br />Thank You :)

crab bait

Captain
Re: Need help!! - paint an dents on an aluminum boat??

go ask an auto body shop what they think.. removin' old paint is alotta big job.... maybe they let you use there suction cup dent puller to pop out the dents...

martyscher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have seen liquid paint stripper on "This Old House" that looked like it could eat about anything. Check around for the most powerful stuff you can find that is OK with aluminum.<br /><br />About the dents, If they are not too large and are accessable from both sides of the metal, you could use a "hammer and dolly" from the old autobody days (before Bondo). In this setup, the dolly is a rounded chunk of metal and the hammer is light with a very flat face. <br /><br />You basically hold the dolly on the low side of the dent and tap the high side with the hammer, to flatten the dent out. With practice, you may get the dent completely out. I have never used one on aluminum, but I would say go real slow since it is softer than sheet metal.<br /><br />Discount auto parts stores or J.C. Whitney catlog may have complete sets for nearly nothing.<br /><br />Have fun.

dthrckt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i just posted a similar question...I'm trying to pick a good paint color or pattern in order to hide them.

As for removing paint, I searched on that awhile ago and found some interesting ideas. There are heat powered paint strippers that range from ~$60 to $400+. One guy said he sprayed (aluminum boat) w/ brake fluid and let it sit for a day then basically wiped the paint off. I've used a lot of strippers and the spray aircraft remover I bought at wal mart is great for paint (would be expensive though). It is very fast acting and will burn you much worse than anything else they've bought there (believe me!).

cheesegrits

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you use any stripper containing methlene chloride do not let it sit on the aluminum very long! If your hull is riveted the stripper will get in behind and around the rivets and keep eating into the aluminum until there is a chemical change in the molecules of the aluminum. This is called hydrogen embritilment. If this happens the rivets become very easy to snap with stress from riding through waves. As long as you pressure wash the stripper off quickly and really blast each rivet you should be okay. I did my 71 sea nymph and had no problems. I found kleanstrips aircraft remover to work best just don't leave it on very long! When you get done with the stripper be sure and get a gallon of lacquer thinner and wash the entire hull down especially around the rivets with a good stiff thinner proof brush. Then paint with an epoxy primer as most everything else won't stick to the aluminum. Please post some pics of your dents so we can get a better idea of what you are up against.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Do not double up your questions and do not drag up threads that are this old from 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.