Need help/opinions about Mercruiser 3.0L

Hello,

Newb here and to boating but not mechanical/motor work. Anyhow I picked up a boat (1995 Wellcraft Excel) last year at the end of the season real cheap. I took it to the marina last week to have some things checked out and found out that the block and manifold were cracked.:( The old owner said he winterized it two years ago and has not used it since. Do I try to fix the block or do I replace it?

Thanks in advance for your help
Chris

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need help/opinions about Mercruiser 3.0L

replace it!

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

The bad news is you bought a boat without at least running it on muffs and got screwed.

The good news is most 3.0's far outlive whatever hull they were installed in.

I am not a proponent of the JB Weld techinique, BUT, if the engine doesn't show water in the oil when run - or cooling system holds pressure, you might be able to slather it with JB Weld where they usually crack and get by. There are tons of 3 liters out there toting around a lot of JB Weld on them.

You would have to pressurize the block cooling system to see if it holds pressure to see if this is even possible since the manifold is shot. You still would need a new manifold.

seaslsush

Cadet

its a gm block but was only used in marine and hyster forklifts
nothing else will work

The bad news is you bough a boat without at least running it on muffs and got screwed.

The good news is most 3.0's far outlive whatever hull they were installed in.

I am not a proponent of the JB Weld techinique, BUT, if the engine doesn't show water in the oil when run - or cooling system holds pressure, you might be able to slather it with JB Weld where they usually crack and get by. There are tons of 3 liters out there toting around a lot of JB Weld on them.

You would have to pressurize the block cooling system to see if it holds pressure to see if this is even possible since the manifold is shot. You still would need a new manifold.

Thanks for the opinions, I am thinking about trying to fix the block and replace the manifold but wanted to see if it is worth it or find another 3.0L and go through the hastle of changing it.

Bomar76 you are not too far from me, I live in Grove City.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the opinions, I am thinking about trying to fix the block and replace the manifold but wanted to see if it is worth it or find another 3.0L and go through the hastle of changing it.

Bomar76 you are not too far from me, I live in Grove City.

I saw you were close....it's possible I could look and offer my 2 cents

Is there any water in the oil now?

Have you run it?

I have not checked that yet. I just got it back from the marina today and I am tossing around some ideas. I will look at the oil tomorrow. The marina mentioned fixing it if it has good compression but they were talking close to $2000 with the service I was going to have them do.

No I have not ran it yet, I think the starter is bad. I will be working on that tomorrow or Friday.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Who is the marina?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

No opinion on them.

On the starter......pull the spark plugs. Cylinders might be full of water and rusted solid.

With plugs out see if you can bar the engine over before you buy a starter.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

you can buy a complete long block with dist, buy new manifold and riser and reuse all your other stuff for about 2300 dollars.
long block is about 2000 and its new not a reman.
or for about 4600 merc will sell you one complete top to bottom and end to end.
problem with most ebay stuff and other stuff on the floor, its very possible to end up with a copy of what you have.
trust me after last winter we are seeing it already.

No opinion on them.

On the starter......pull the spark plugs. Cylinders might be full of water and rusted solid.

With plugs out see if you can bar the engine over before you buy a starter.

Well I pulled the plugs today and turned over the motor with no problems. I checked the oil as well and does not look milky at all. I guess I will be pulling the starter tomorrow.

you can buy a complete long block with dist, buy new manifold and riser and reuse all your other stuff for about 2300 dollars.
long block is about 2000 and its new not a reman.
or for about 4600 merc will sell you one complete top to bottom and end to end.
problem with most ebay stuff and other stuff on the floor, its very possible to end up with a copy of what you have.
trust me after last winter we are seeing it already.

Where is the best place to get a complete long block if I am going to need one?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Well I pulled the plugs today and turned over the motor with no problems. I checked the oil as well and does not look milky at all. I guess I will be pulling the starter tomorrow.

If it turns well...and oil is not water logged now.....you might have a chance at the JB Weld sorta fix.

Pressure test the coolant system on the engine.

Bondo

Staff member

If it turns well...and oil is not water logged now.....you might have a chance at the JB Weld sorta fix.

Ayuh,... I Agree...
If there's No water in the oil,... Butter it up with Epoxy,+ Enjoy it...

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

If you would like a second pair of eyes on it I could stop by sometime.