Need help... never had a stern drive and I wonder if I blew it...

everhart57

Cadet
I have a mercruiser 898... thing it's a ford engine? It came in an 81 seaswirl and was told it was the original engine... Took it to the lake first thing and dropped it in... It fired right up and I was excited. It went into reverse... although it seemed a little slow it seemed fine... it then wouldn't go forward and the drive was comming up out of the water... I figured bleed the hydraulics (misspelled I'm sure) so when I went to take it home... before I pulled it out I noticed that the positive battery terminal was glowing orange. I took it how and put a different battery and terminals on it because I thought that might be the problem for the glowing terminal... Now it cranks slow and the battery cables get hot.

I know nothing about this thing I'm used to outboards... any advice???

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Need help... never had a stern drive and I wonder if I blew it...

The 898 is a Chevy 305, the 888 was a Ford 302. If the distributor is in the front of the engine it's a Ford, in the rear means it's a Chevy. The drive lifting up in reverse is because the reverse lockout valve is not functioning. Not a dire issue, but it's not likely due to needing to bleed the system. The hot terminals might be a bad solenoid or starter remaining engaged.

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a mercruiser 898... thing it's a ford engine? It came in an 81 seaswirl and was told it was the original engine... Took it to the lake first thing and dropped it in... It fired right up and I was excited. It went into reverse... although it seemed a little slow it seemed fine... it then wouldn't go forward and the drive was comming up out of the water... I figured bleed the hydraulics (misspelled I'm sure) so when I went to take it home... before I pulled it out I noticed that the positive battery terminal was glowing orange. I took it how and put a different battery and terminals on it because I thought that might be the problem for the glowing terminal... Now it cranks slow and the battery cables get hot.

I know nothing about this thing I'm used to outboards... any advice???

I had an 82 merc 898 and had a similar problem with the reverse lock valve. I ended up replacing the trim pump to a newer style oildyne pump that had the reverse lock valve built in. It would make the most sense to bleed the system first and try it again before you think about replacing any parts. As haulnazz15 said, it's probably not the problem, but you might as well try..

When you replaced the terminal, did you use marine parts? Or something from an auto parts store? I believe the marine terminals are bronze.

everhart57

Cadet

when I replaced the terminals I used auto parts... but would that make them get hot? and by hot I mean hot! not just warm... and I don't think it's due to the starter remaining engaged since it happens fast... like when you are first trying to start it... the other question is ... what is causing the slow cranking?? and the drive wasn't lifting in reverse... it's lifting when you try to move forward?