Need help IDing 6cyl Volvo Penta diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.

roverjohn

Seaman Apprentice
I looked at a 1976 boat today powered by a Volvo Penta 6cyl diesel. I was kind of expecting a Nissan SD33 but found another engine instead. It has two valve covers. The injection pump drives the raw water pump and it was normally asperated. The VP outdrive had the number 270 pn it. The engine was much larger than a SD33, probably near the size of a 5.9 Cummins. I should have written down the numbers cast into the head but it was getting dark. Does thgis help anyone ID the engine type?

TIA,
John

roverjohn

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Neerd help IDing 6cyl Volvo Penta diesel

I guess I can add that the heat exchanger was on the front of the engine. The air intake was a metal jacket that sat over the exhaust manifold and had three down facing tubes that allowed inlet air in. Also the high pressure ;inrs to the injectors came off th back of the injection pump. Hope this all helps as I've been searching onlin for a while now and can'y find anything that look like this engine,

roverjohn

Seaman Apprentice

OK, I found a picture. It appears to be an Indenor 6cyl of about 100hp. If you look at the pictures here:
http://www.midi-broker.com/7300.html
It's down towards the bottom. If that is an Indenor I guess thay are made by Peugot so does anyone know if parts are available and if the motors are any good or maybe the model number so I can find more info.
Thanks

roverjohn

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, it's a MD32.
Thanks guys.
If anyone has any experience with them please let me know your tales good or bad.

Bonden

Recruit

I have a boat with one of these MD32As installed. They are getting a bit long in the tooth and parts are becoming hard to get - and expensive. If you are seriously considering this boat, have a good Volvo guy look the engine over thoroughly (from outward appearances, it looks great, nice and clean) - to include the fuel system and the condition of the fuel. Valve setting is important as well - I can testify to that as I am doing a valve job on mine that "had a valve job" just before I bought it.

If you really want that boat - check into re-powering options before you buy.

I haven't been able to run my engine long enough without a fuel problem to form an opinion on how I like it. The problems I'm having are not the engine's fault, rather the previous owner's and mine..(for not having someone go over it with me with a fine toothed comb) Parts though can be an issue - they're rare but out there, but expensive.

Best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.