Need help identifying weird oil plug

pnutbutterking

Recruit
Hi everyone, first time posting. I have a 2006 Four Winns 190 Horizon with Volvo Penta 4.3gl. I've been noticing some oil in the engine well and have been worried it was a head gasket. After a very detailed inspection including passing compression tests, etc, I found where it is coming from ... a very small 5/16 ID hole on the left side (facing aft) of the engine, in line with the starter, along the edge of the oil pan to block connection and it spits little drops of oil out while running. I've been to the local marine mechanics and they say it's an alternate location for a dipstick and you can buy a plug anywhere but I've ordered a few on Amazon and elsewhere and they just don't fit (which is what led me to finally use callipers to measure it at 5/16"). Anyone on here hear of this part before? I've picked up some 8mm rubber stoppers and also silicone but that's not a long term solution. Anyone on here hear of this part before? Photo attached.

Attachments

• 20211020_075243.jpg
    20211020_075243.jpg
    809.8 KB · Views: 19

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did some starters use a support bracket ?----Bolt hole for that bracket ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
But the block may have been ready to have that hole threaded for certain models ?

pnutbutterking

Recruit
But the block may have been ready to have that hole threaded for certain models ?
Maybe. My local Volvo marine mechanic looked at my picture and said it's an alternate oil dipstick holes and uses a simple rubber style plug you can get at any auto parts store but I've tried them all and they are too large. I've also looked at all of the Volvo Marine engine manuals and could not find it described anywhere.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
5/16" bolt and some permatex #1. call it done