Need help identifying hardware

88Glastron

Seaman Apprentice
I was replacing the water pump and I noticed that my intermediate shift shaft had some resistance to it. I removed the shaft and applied some 2-4-c to it and reinstalled it with its washer and cotter pin. I then reattached the gear housing and the drive shaft housing. As I was tightening the last nut I noticed these two items in question on the ground. The inside diameter is the same as the intermediate shift shaft but I do not remember them being there. They do not appear to be a part of the water pump so I checked the exploded view of both lower units and it showed the intermediate shift shaft only having one washer and the cotter pin which are both still there. Am I missing something?

SNC00008.jpg

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Need help identifying hardware

the washer in the pic looks very similar to the washer that i use under the cotter pin on the shift shaft in the upper on my 1 drive. do you have the washer installed on the top of the lower shift shaft? wondering if perhaps ya got that washer mixed up with the one for the shift shaft in the upper... the washer that sits on top of the the shift shaft in the lower looks like a washer. the one that goes under the cotter pin in the upper looks like the one in your pic... on my 1 drive... guessing your alpha1 is similar..

no idea on the snap ring..

88Glastron

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the quick response. if you look at the exploded view in the manual you see only one washer and the cotter pin. I have the one washer in with the cotter pin. Both the snap ring and the washer have the same inside diameter matching the shift shaft but I can not see anything to tell me that they go there for sure or even where.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

A friend of mine has a cousin that knows this guy at a bar who's brother in law used to work for one of the boat companies. He said "he heard that all of the manufacturers add extra parts just to confuse you. So don't worry if you have parts left over".

At least that's what I heard.

Glad I'm not the only member of the "oh-oh what the heck is this?" club :redface:

88Glastron

Seaman Apprentice

Not only am I a member, but I am also the president. Welcome we have jackets.

ziggy

Admiral

I have the one washer in with the cotter pin.
does that washer look like a regular washer?

did you reinstall the washer that sits on top of the lower shift shaft in the lower?

what i'm thinking is that perhaps ya got the washer that goes on the lower mixed up with the one that goes under the cotter pin in the upper.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

what i'm thinking is that perhaps ya got the washer that goes on the lower mixed up with the one that goes under the cotter pin in the upper.

That would be my guess as well. Here's a pic of where that washer goes:

shiftshaftwasher.jpg

Like Ziggy... I have no idea on the snap ring.

88Glastron

Seaman Apprentice

The washer pictured above is most definitely in place in the lower unit. Like I said the washers inner diameter matches perfectly with the intermediate shift shaft but all that is shown in the manuals is a single washer which is in place.

ziggy

Admiral

looking at the bottom of the upper at the shift shaft. a kinda blurry pic of a 1 drive (i'm assuming your alpha1 will be similar) looking at the cotter pin and washer underneath it....

IMG_2656.jpg

the washer has a large hole in it compared to the outside dia... best i know, thats the oem wash i have in the pic.. looks very similar to the washer you have posted up i think....