Need Help getting stern drive apart

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I've got a Volvo Penta 3.0 l connected to an SX-M outdrive that was run in salt water before i bought it, and I'm having trouble getting the stern drive apart.

So as part of winterizing, i was following the shop manual instructions to remove the stern drive to inspect everything (especially since i think i have a bad u joint).

I've followed the manual and have removed the 6 nuts which hold the drive to the gimbal housing, but it won't budge. The upper unit seems to be seized to the gimbal housing with corrosion. I'm fairly sure that none of this stuff has ever been taken apart before and it's a 2001 boat. Does anyone have any ideas on how i might get it apart??

Thanks,

Steve

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need Help getting stern drive apart

Ayuh,... Place a block of wood, up-under, where the drive meets the gimbel, lift the drive, 'n SLAM it down against the wood...

Hook the trim rams back up, 'n use 'em to push it off....

Either of those 2 ideas may, or may not work...
Corrosion I hear really sucks for you saltwater guys...

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, - i'll give those a whirl and see what happens. I'm not a salt-water guy as i'm up in the great lakes in Canada, but stupidly bought a boat that was from Florida

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks, - i'll give those a whirl and see what happens. I'm not a salt-water guy as i'm up in the great lakes in Canada, but stupidly bought a boat that was from Florida

Duh,... I didn't look at yer location,...

I'm on the other side of the littlest pond... ;)

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,... Place a block of wood, up-under, where the drive meets the gimbel, lift the drive, 'n SLAM it down against the wood...

Hook the trim rams back up, 'n use 'em to push it off....

Either of those 2 ideas may, or may not work...
Corrosion I hear really sucks for you saltwater guys...

Well - tried both of these and neither worked. I really thought the wood block method would do the trick, but it still hasn't budged. Any other thoughts??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look around the 6 studs where you removed the nuts, bet they are packed with corrosion and holding the drive on.
In the past I have actually had to remove the drive and pivot housing, use a lot of heat and brass drift and hammer drive the 6 studs and pivot housing off the drive.
That happens when the drive isn't pulled yearly for maintenance.

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Look around the 6 studs where you removed the nuts, bet they are packed with corrosion and holding the drive on.

That is exactly the situation with my drive Don. I'll have a look into removing the whole unit and see what happens.

Thanks

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In the past I have actually had to remove the drive and pivot housing, use a lot of heat and brass drift and hammer drive the 6 studs and pivot housing off the drive.

Ok - i'm stumped. We've been tinkering with heat and trying to soak a penetrating oil around the studs but the drive isn't going anywhere. My next question is - how to i remove the drive with the pivot housing attached. I won't be able to get at the exhaust bellows or water line to disconnect them (according to the service manual). Any tips on how to do this???

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I won't be able to get at the exhaust bellows or water line to disconnect them (according to the service manual). Any tips on how to do this???

Cut 'em.