Need help fooling the warning alarm...

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got a 1994 Yamaha 130hp 2-stoke, model 130TLRS, that runs great but the oil pump keeps over filling the oil tank under the hood. Instead of paying hundreds of dollars replacing parts I decided to disconnect the oil line from the tank in the boat and just refill the tank under the hood myself, like my 90hp. Would like to remove the boat oil tank but need help on how to fool the alarm that the system is ok. What wires need to be connected to keep the alarm system happy? Thanks, Don.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Before you disable anything make sure the oil tank sender unit slides up and down easily, the one under the cowling. Here's some more information from another source:

Thanks guys, I found the parts breakdown diagram for the lubrication system. I disconnected the wire coming from the oil level gauge assembly in the remote oil tank. This made the alarm stop. I then drained the oil from the tank. I removed oil level gauge assembly from the tank. The strainer which is at the bottom of the oil level assembly stayed in the tank, I had to fish it out. I reconnected the oil level assembly wire then moved the float up and down. When the float is down it makes contact and the alarm goes off. When the float is raised the alarm does not come on. It seems that it's working properly. I clean everything up and put back together and refilled with fresh yamalube. Turn the key and no alarm. Cranked the boat and it ran as normal for 10 minutes with the lower unit submerged in the test barrel. I took it to the ramp and ran her for about 30 minutes and everything seemed normal. I'm guessing the strainer was holding the float down??? I guess I will keep and eye on it.

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
yup. checked that, thanks. It will work fine 9 times out of 10, then I'll create an oil slink at the landing.