Need help doing a re-wire

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've been told by my mechanic that my boats needs to be rewired. Its a 93'Mako I recently purchased. Any suggestions on how to begin this project? The major harnesses look like they are in great condition so I'm assuming he means all the other equipment. How do you replace wire properly so they are not exposed to future salt damage? :confused:

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Need help doing a re-wire

Can I ask why he said it needs to be rewired? If you don't see any corrosion, or have any problems, where is the problem? Have people put in accessories over the years and made a mess?<br /><br />I would suggest finding out why you need to rewire before you start.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If everything is working and there are no obvious safety issues, why on earth rewire. Stick your head under the helm and check the engine bay for signs of cracked or missing insulation on wires, corrosion on terminals, etc. If there is evidence of these problems in several areas, perhaps he's right in suggesting a rewire but I suspect thats not really necessary. Perhaps some wiring repair is in order, but it rare a boat that age needs a total rewire.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I do see a birds nest behind the center console cover. A there is a bus panel on the transom that is corroded and a few caroded terminals. Several electrical items are not woring such as seconday bait well and bildge pump. Also lights and of course a couple of guages...

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your problems do not mean a rewire is needed. What is needed is to fix what is broken by looking at each item one at a time.<br /><br />1. Fix and/or replace all the corroded terminals.<br />2. Clean out birds nest.<br />3. Go through each item one at a time. You will probably find a different problem for each item.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you have a birds nest, the way to clean it up is to separate each wire and cut the excess. Add a new terminal to each wire and clean its termination point. Do a little planning so when the bird nest is "de-nested" you end up with a nice neat group of equal length wires, neatly secured and bundled with wire ties.

FishyFun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Make sure that you use Anti Oxident grease on all your connections, I swear by it. It helps tremendously with retarding corrosion. I get mine at Menards, or any automotive store.<br /><br />lee

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also, make sure you get a good crimper. This will make a world of difference. I can't over emphisize this.<br /><br />Actually I could, but I'm not.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What about heat shrinking...how do you do that? Also, what about the end connection were the screw meets the bus block.

KCLOST

Commander

Heat shrink tubing is what you need to purchase.... Find the right size tubing for the wire size you have...

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes I understand....I have some...just not sure how itgoes on the wire and does it cover the crimped end of the connector...is it used for the connectors most of the time?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Heat shrink tubing is used in several wiring applications. If splicing two wires end to end, cut a piece of tubing so it will cover the entire splice, plus about 3/8 inch either side of it. Slip it well up one wire while soldering. Let the joint cool, slide the tubing over the joint and heat it with a match. If the terminal you attach to the end of a wire is soldered instead of crimped (oh jeez -- relax purists) you can add heat shrink to the terminal. Now see what you made me do!!!! :)

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Lee Gisvold:<br /> Make sure that you use Anti Oxident grease on all your connections, I swear by it. It helps tremendously with retarding corrosion. I get mine at Menards, or any automotive store.<br /><br />lee
Good to see someone else recommend di-electric grease. I never make a connection exposed ot the elements without it.<br /><br />As for the crimper, ABSOLUTELY. You need the proper equipment for the job. <br /><br />As for heatshrinking, get a heat gun. Any connection left bare or having any exposed area needs to be sealed. Cut a piece of heat shrink tubing long enough to cover the unio and extend 1/2-3/4" on each side up the insulaiton. Slide it up one side of wire, make the connection and slide the tubing over the connection, centering it. Then hea *** with a heat gun. I discourage the BIC lighter idea. Flame tends to scorch and burn the tubing if you aren't VERY careful. A heat gun at ACE Hardware is about $20-30. A small investment for a rpoject such as yours.<br /><br />And finally, find out exactly why your mechanic says you need a re-wire as opposed to a repair of the existing wiring. I am a mechanic and I just opened my own shop. From what you have described so far, he has a boat payment he needs you to make for him. But he may have a legitimate reason, you need to find out.<br /><br />If you tackle this on your own, get the proper tools. If you look around you can find them for a reasonable cost. Buy the proper crimpers, get a heat gun, and use di-electric or "Tune-up" grease for all termination connections to protect them from corrosion. DO IT RIGHT, NOW, and you won't have to do it again. Cut corners, and YOU WILL PAY[/], and pay, and pay.<br /><br />I have to add this. Realgun, and others, notice I did NOT recommend soldering, or dissuade crimping. ;) That is not an issue to bring up here, it won't help sunpacman. :p

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On heatshrink, note that you can buy connectors from Ancor with them already on. Yes, they are pricey but you don't have to remember to put the heatshrink on before you crimp. And of course, they are of the right size and in the right location. Finally, they have adhesive in them which I highly recommend.<br /><br />I also second the recommendation on heatgun. So much easier to use than mess with lighters, match etc.<br /><br />Amir

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Just finished a complete rewire of my boat and recommend that by all means get a heatgun. I bought mine from Harbor Freight for $10. The first time I used it I was really kicking myself for not getting one earlier instead of using matches and butane lighters for the first half of my life. BTW, I chose to do a complete rewire as over my boat's 30 years its previous owners were apparrently lacking in any real electrical apptitude or experience or at least that is what it looked like. Now I know exactly what I have and that it is safe, reliable, and will stay that way for a very long time.

crab bait

Captain

wussies..!!<br /><br />where's your daring an sense-of-adventure..<br />the 'excitiment high' from an open flame blow torch in a boat..!!!

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Hey, crab bait, just don't want to end up as crab bait before my time. :p