Need Help Determining a Fair Price...

VanderLaan

Seaman
Found a 22 SS with an '89 115 Mariner OB. I note the sweet trolling motor and all the electronics. Trailer does not seem to be anything special. Been trading e-mails with the lot owner (consignment) and he tells me that the hull has a few scrapes and dents, but nothing unusual. He said that the owners were running it last week without event and that the trailer "is fine". I asked about compression numbers on the motor and he told me that he would get them for me, if I was serious about buying the boat. He also told me that it was a project boat in need of some "minor repairs" (please be as nebulous as possible when answering a buyer's questions.)

So what is a fair offer? I can figure a price for all of the extras, but I am pretty clueless as to value of the boat, motor and trailer. I also note that there is no 220 SS in the NADA for 1980.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/boa/3084909807.html

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Need Help Determining a Fair Price...

Howdy
I think the motor is NOT so desireable..also what is up with the stains on the lower unit? is that a patch job?
I would love a 22 foot SS hull...so unless that motor is 100% (and I doubt it is) I would pay up to a grand, and would say 800 to 900 would be just about perfect.

Inspect the transom, make sure the wood is solid, if the rear deck is soft, chances are the transom will need to be replaced as well.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just for info - The 1979 brochure shows a 22' SS with the V-5 hull, which I think this is. $3.5 k is a bit high. It is missing the bow seat supports & upholstery and a bunch of interior. I only see two seats. The fish finder could be a $150 unit and the trolling motor with autopilot is a pricey item new, but how old and does it work. In lake ready shape with a good motor and no floor/transom flaws - maybe $1500. BTW - a project boat isn't one needing "some minor repairs" IMO.

dozerII

Admiral

Like they said above, 22 V5, motor ???? at best, interior is mia, 3500 is real high for this project

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hate to say it, but that is way overpriced. That is coming from a guy that would overpay for an outboard 22' ss. Looking at the pics that are with the add, that is a total project. Missing pieces, pretty rough looking additions from the owner.

That being said, if the outboard is in good running condition(good compression, lower unit pressure test good, clean lower unit oil with no metal shavings, and a good long sea trial), working not to old electronics and trolling motor, and a decent trailer, I would say an $2000 offer is not out of the ballpark. Remember, that is coming from a guy that realizes that a 22' ss is fairly rare and willing to overpay for it. Also remember that is coming from a guy that is looking for that exact boat.

VanderLaan

Seaman

Thanks guys. Your responses pretty much mirror my thoughts. I recognized that the interior needed a complete overhaul and figured it would be over-priced just by being on a consignment lot. The search continues...