Need Help Deciding....... and Fast!

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need advice on a purchase. I have the opportunity to buy a 1988 Marlin Fiberglass RunAbout 19' BR with a Hardin Marine Chevy 454 and Berkeley Jet Drive with stainless exhaust. The boat was very well taken care and serviced/winterized every year. The Hull looks great and the interior has the usual wear but is in very nice shape. There are 402 hours on the boat and they are asking $9300 form. The other boat is an 18' 2005 Monterey BR with only 60 hours on it. The engine is a 3.0 Volvo Penta and the boat looks to be in almost new condition except for a stain on the sun deck and on the front seat. They are only asking $8500 for the unit which books for much more. Both boats have a trailer.
My questions concern the 3 liter in the Monterey (under powered?) and the longevity of the Marlin. I am using the boat on the river primarily so the jet is great but what will the difference in fuel consumption be assuming that I will be at WOT 25-35% of the time. I know that the Marlin was a $30 plus thousand dollar boat new and if I were to buy one today would be around $50-$60k. I love the old boats but having a young family etc., what would you guys do? I do like to ski and tube so power is of some concern.

So.............
Is the 3.0 under powered?
How well should the Marlin hold up? (anyone with knowledge let me know)
Is the 454 a gas hog at 3/4 throttle? (I know it is at WOT)
And, based on price, what do you go with?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! I have to move on these fast. Thanks, Kevin

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need Help Deciding....... and Fast!

STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE BERKLEY! Unless you like spending hours tinkering and have lots of cash for repairs and gas....these things are pigs. Brother in law has one with 454...spends a ton on gas, more time laid up fixing things, just a bad design. The newer jets like 99 and up in the seadoo, Yamaha, and such are totally better design. His boat is a carlson, does 48 mph tops, can not really ski or tube with it....we had a 03 seadoo, 240 hp, did 65 mph, ski, tube, maintinence free, sold for 9500. Still not very good on gas....

As for the 3.0, many peolpe have this boat/motor combo, built like a tank, can tube, pull skiers, a little bit of a dog, great gas milage.

If it was me, I would look for a V6 to comprimize between everthing you want.

Why only these two boats?

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks dellsboater! And, to answer your question as to why, because I am impatient. Well, that and I know that the Montery is a damn good deal. I have booked it out and made some calls and everyone agrees that it is a nice boat. On top of that, I know that there is someone serious about the marlin.

cr2k

Captain

The jet boat sounds about 6k over priced.

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the feedback. I also spoke with some local boat guys/dealers and they too told me to stay away from the jet. So, I went ahead and bought a 2005 Monterey 180 FS with a 3.0 Volvo Penta. The boat has 60.2 hours on it and looks brand new. I ended up paying $8500 for it and a Load Rite trailer. Everyone in the know tells me that I got a steal on it. We will see!

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a hell of a deal.... NOW PICS!

Be glad you didnt buy the jet boat. I had a 17 cheetah, with an olds 455, 365hp engine and a berkely jet, and it did 40 mph. You got a newer, more reliable, nicer looking boat that will probably only do 5mph less.... honestly!