Need help coaching little league

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Gents,<br /><br />I had to step up to first base coach (other coaches dont show up) for the little league team and I really dont know enough of the strategy.<br /><br />Like do you try to steal second with one out? Two outs? When to bunt? All this good stuff.<br /><br />Anyone know of a good book to read, to help me get started?<br /><br />Ken

ezbtr

Commander
Re: Need help coaching little league

Hey buddy i coached 2 yrs farm for stepsons, and now this year Im doin peanut/tball w/ 5 yr old. I love it! t peanuts(4-6 yr olds) its all basics, where 1st thru home plate, I usually have em throw to first on hit OR NEAREST base where runner comin in, before ball is hit i yell to em where play will be. Also after 5 coach pitches, we use T. Great fun! At this age its makin sue KIDS learn and have FUN! To heck w/ parents. Good Luck, Heinz

FLATHEAD

Captain

Coached for years, First it depends on what age they are. Second it depends on who is gonna do the stealing, fast guy, send em, slow guy hold em. A lot depends on the catcher on the other team, does he have the arm to throw a guy out. Also the pitcher, does he have a good move to first. One thing I never did was steal with two outs, unless it was a sure thing.<br /><br />Too many variables to have a set formula for stealing base's. <br /><br />Once you get into it and learn about the kids on your team and the other teams it will be easy. Good luck and have fun.<br /><br />Also when the kids hit the 12 year old mark the old saying that it is not if you win or lose its how you play the game is bunk. Play to win, thats why they are out there. It is no fun losing. My team used to have a saying, " we are gonna win because we dont like losing :D . We went on to win the championship 4 years in a row,then they moved on to adult leagues.

tylerin

Commander

Been coaching now for 10 years, I agree w/ Flathead. Little league , which is different than pony ball, you can't steal until the ball crosses the plate. If the pitcher has demonstrated that he's throwing the ball in the dirt, than wait for him to do it again. 1 Cardinal rule, don't make the first out at third or home. Speed, catchers arm, are some of the many variables. Example, 2 outs and you have your best hitter at the plate and a so so runner, I wouldn't steal unless the bal gets away from the catcher because I don't want to take the bat out of his hand. I don't like small ball(bunt) unless I need a run to tie or go ahead by 1. You need to tell us what league your in and what age group. Good luck, have fun.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

It is little league, Minor II, age 8-9 year olds. You cant leave the bag till the ball crosses the plate. We use a pitching machine.<br /><br />So far I only send the steal to second if the catcher fumbles the ball, but most catchers are good and rarely do this. I am less of a gambler than the manager and he wants to try to steal more. He is a great manager with a good attitude, we like to win, but it is not the priority. Teaching is most important.<br /><br />I agree with you after age 12, they are there to win, not just for fun, and should be coached that way. At the 8 year old age, they are still trying to figure out if they like the game.<br /><br />Gonna have a talk with the kids, they are making easy mistakes. My own got out after getting off the bag cause he thought he was out (we wasnt). My lip was bleeding from biting it so hard. You gotta remember these are 8 year old kids, and they really dont know the rules yet.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea boys ball is fine but get a hold of a bunch of girls that age if you want to have a good time.<br /><br />I coached for 3 teams as my girls were growing up and had parents ask me what hand to buy the glove for, man I knew I was in trouble then :eek: , but like all has said it was about learning and having fun.<br /><br />Heck, we did not win a game at all the first year and we still had a big party at the end of the season and I got trophys for all the girls and then they blowed me away with a plaque from all of them.<br /><br />Yea what a time. :cool:

tylerin

Commander

Always play to win at any age. Learn how to accept defeat. Making the good players great is easy, making one of the less fortunate catch and throw well is a feather in your cap. Defense wins these ball games (since there's no pitcher). Knowing where to stick talent is a big part of managing. Strong up the middle always, catcher, pitcher, 2nd, short and center field. Surprised they're not pitching yet, maybe the 2nd half of the season, no? Its a simple game of catch, throw, hit, you have to teach these 3 at all times. Sometimes a pool party goes farther than a practice. Teamwork

gaugeguy

Captain

I too have volunteered to coach this year and I'm having fun with it. There is a good book that the Ripken brothers (Cal and Billy) just put out that is supposed to be really great about teaching kids baseball. "Baseball the Ripken Way" or something like that.<br /><br />From what I've heard about it, it's supposed to be a wonderful teaching tool for the game.

tylerin

Commander

I coached 2 teams 12 and 13yrs to State Champions. Played in NY for the National Championship and finished 7th, now I have a team of 6,7,8 year old girls. This is the toughest year of coaching I ever had. We're 7-1 and the girls could care less. I love them for that. Girls are so fun to teach. The reason its tough though is that I've coached at a high level and now I have to revert back. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't trade shoes w/ anyone

gaugeguy

Captain

I've coached girls basketball (11-14 year olds) and this is my first time coaching boys. Girls seem to learn to do things easier and are more open minded when it comes to learning. It seems like the boys I'm working with this year have to be broken of bad habits first before they accept the correct way of doing things.<br /><br />I wish there was a third group of kids, the ones with the boys athletic ability and the girls willingness to learn :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yeppers, the girls have that "want to", as in want to learn. :cool:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I know this is asking a lot, just want some opinions. I am just trying to get a feel for the game.<br /><br />Hypothetical situation<br />assume all players can throw and catch decently (50% chance the throw is on target, 50% chance he will catch the ball).<br />the runner is fast<br />and it is later on in the game.<br /><br />Steal second when:<br /><br />We need a lot of runs and have:<br />No outs<br />One out<br />Two outs<br /><br />We are tied and have:<br />No outs<br />One out<br />Two outs<br /><br />We are far ahead and have:<br />No outs<br />One out<br />Two outs<br /><br />Do these rules change if you have a runner on third?<br /><br />Thanks guys,<br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

If they even look like they will fumble the catch and it hits the ground, RUN,RUN,RUN, it gets them all shook as to where to throw it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I know what you mean guys. These boys cant sit still for more than 5 seconds, cant even pretend they are listening for more than 5 seconds. I just wish we could talk to them in a small room with no distractions. Hmmm... Maybe blindfolds would work.<br /><br />Ken

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /><br />Steal second when:<br /><br />We need a lot of runs and have:<br />No outs<br />One out<br />Two outs<br /><br />We are tied and have:<br />No outs<br />One out<br />Two outs<br /><br />We are far ahead and have:<br />No outs<br />One out<br />Two outs<br /><br />Do these rules change if you have a runner on third?<br /><br />
When you need a lot of runs, stealing a base isn't going to do much for you, base hits are--regardless of the amount of outs. You'd hate to have a runner get picked off and take you out of a big inning.<br /><br />If you are tied going into the later innings and you need to get a runner into scoring position, it may be a good idea if you have a good runner on base. Really depends on the bats you have coming to the plate. If you have a 50/50 chance is it worth getting picked off if you have three good bats coming up?<br /><br />If you are far ahead, why would you want to? Don't run the score up on someone cause it doesn't feel good when a team does it to you.<br /><br />It basically comes down to the atheletes you have, and your coaching style. Some like to run some don't.

tylerin

Commander

We are far ahead and have:<br />No outs<br />One out<br />Two outs<br />
If your far ahead call off the dogs, this is something you have controll of. You can't (although I have) tell a kid to not get a hit. Way behind, rarely, unless I'm trying to break up the double play. Man on first and third always take second with less than two outs. If they throw down the guy on third takes home. Be careful most coaches have a fake or altered throw down to get the guy at third

gaugeguy

Captain

And have the batter protect your runner. You want to send the runner on a good runner's count (2-0, 2-1, 3-1, 3-0). Make sure the batter is aware his teammate is going to be stealing so he can take a cut at the ball. The batter swinging is going to throw off the catchers timing a little also--and as an added bonus if the batter get's a base hit, you now have runners on the corners. Beware of the line-out, double plays are a rally killer.