need help building a trailer

Dewey

Seaman
Has anyone built thier own trailer before?<br />I am thinking about building my own for a 18 ft bow rider. It needs to handle about 2800#. I need to know the best way to go about begining this adventure. I have seen some frames but am not sure if they can handle the weight. How can I tell? Also does it matter what type of axle I use if it is rated for 3000# and is the axle length determined by the width of the boat or the frame? For the springs is there a benefit to using one type versus another as long as each is rated for 1500#? Is there a recomended tongue length and diameter for this weight and length of boat? Is there any special hubs or tires that anyone recomends? I am trying to stay around $400 with axle, springs, bunks, hubs, tires, winch post and base, and fenders and hardware. Can it be done? :) Thanks for the time and efforts.<br />Dewey

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: need help building a trailer

Ahoy, Dewey.<br /><br />www.championtrailers.com<br /><br />Anything you need or need to know.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: need help building a trailer

Ya, What they said......<br />I'll add, I'd go with the torsional axles.. less parts,+ they last damn near for ever...