Need help before buying a boat.

flakeys2005

Seaman Apprentice
I know it looks long, but please read and help if you can!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. My experience with boating is limited to going on my dad's boat when I was a little boy, canoeing, (sometimes with a motor) and kayaking. I guess you could say I am a beginner.

Well I've got two little ones of my own now and I thought it would be nice to get them out on the water, so I started looking for a motor for my coleman scanoe, and that turned into a search for an actual boat that has lasted over a month. I've looked at several and due to financial limitations I have to stick with something older.

The boat I am looking at now is a 1994 Bayliner Capri 1750 LS with a Merc alpha one 3.0. The boat is in really nice shape for it's age with only a few scratches on the upper hull from rubbing on the dock and some minor tears in the seats. Now the bad news. It wont start or click over or anything. I am moderately mechanically inclined and I think I have a pretty good idea at what I need to do to fix it, but because I am new to the world of boating and marine mechanics, I thought I'd ask here. The starter is corroded and the owner cut the red and orange wires off near the solenoid and stripped them back. He told me that everything on the boat quit working...the gauges, the radio, everything. I noticed that the positive battery cable is sheared off but the loose end is near the trim pump, and it doesn't look like he did it. Does that sound like the culprit for the electronics or could there be something else? All of the fuses are good and I looked under the dash and everything is clean and tight. I will need to go through and check all of the ground wires, but I'll get to that. I am going to try to jump the starter and get the motor running before I agree to buy the boat of course, but I may have to buy a new starter in order to even hear the boat run. My next question...what starter goes on that motor? I have had no luck finding the right one. It seems that there are many that might work. I have the engine serial number but that hasn't come up in my search. Is the procedure for checking the compression similar to any other engine? One last note. One of the corners of the cavitation plate is broken off and he said he bought it like that and used it for two years with no problems. Is that something that could be fixed or do I have to buy a new unit or housing?

Thanks to any one who read through all of this, I know it was long winded, but I wanted to give as much info as I could up front.

Mike.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Need help before buying a boat.

I would keep looking. Find one that is running, that you can check out on the water, for an extended run. A inexpensive boat can get expen$ive in a hurry.

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the connections are corroded, that would keep the electronics from working. Bad battery, wires, or connections would be the culprit. If it were just the starter, other things would work (lights, radio, etc.)

Sandpaper should work to clean wire connections, make sure the battery terminals are clean, and the thick cables going from battery to starter, and battery to engine should also be shiny. If the battery is good, something should start or do something.

nichollb

Cadet

Make a deal you take the weekend to get it running. You'll buy it after you can take it for a test drive and can see what all work's not works.

I would not pay for it until you have been on the water.

Or just keep looking.

It could be an easy fix or it could be a nightmare you don't want to deal with.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Why were the wires cut?? That is insane.

I had a Merc 3.0 last week that had to have the engine pulled to change the starter...
I would keep looking.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

I think a big part of what we need to know is - How much is he asking?!?!?

flakeys2005

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I took every ones advice and I kept looking. I was going to pay $1500. It is on a galvanized bunk trailer. Upon further inspection, I realized that the seats were in a bit rougher shape than I remembered them being, but not terrible. Anyway I found a 1988 Larson 175 citation I/O in beautiful shape for $2000. It has been garaged, interior is beautiful, on a galvanized roller trailer and the owner is going to take me out on it tomorrow. There are a lot of nice boats out there, if you are willing to wait for the right one to come along. Thanks for the advice.