Need Help,Bad eevening on the river

kevheads

Cadet
went for a cruise this evening on the Illinois river and hit a 3-4" dia. log,heard it hit the underside of the boat ,then the motor.( motor has a whale fin on it) As soon as it hit the motor the motor started pulling hard to the right.If I let go of the steering wheel it would instantly start turning right or running wide open I would have to keep pressure left to stay straight.Lifted the motor and seen a small chunk about the size of a half a dime missing on one blade.
Got home to the garage and noticed a big crack and bent metal on one side of the motor where the fin is attached and a small crack on the other side at a fin bolt.Is this my cause of pulling to the right? and whats my fix, have it straightened and weld the cracks? Thanks in advance
Here's a link to some pics on photobucket if my first picture posting doesn't work.

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need Help,Bad eevening on the river

It took out your stabilizer too...completely gone. Nothing a little welding can't fix though. With the cost of AL props these days I would just replace the prop, I got a Turning Point prop for my 50HP Yamaha with hub for $60 on sale...hard to justify fixing them at that price.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

The cavitation plate could be fixed by some one who knows what they are doing. And Iboats is having a 80% off plus another 5% with that on top of it, Buy your prop now while the going is good. Thats why I don't take my boat on the river any more, I live 10mins away, but go to the lake instead 25min away, Too much stuff in the river!!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

See if there is an actual prop shop in your area, lowers are cast and weld kind funny, also if you just whack that with a hammer it will snap right off, it will bend back but you have to work it slowly.

I have welded a skeg back on mine and done a ton of props so it can be done just be carefull who you have do it.

I am a river runner too and there is alot of stuff in there.

That was my first lesson when I got my boat, just because it is covered with water doesn't mean you can drive there.

Oh. also watch your lower unit oil, you may have damaged the prop shaft seal so check your lower for water every now and then.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

One comment about repaired versus new props: When they're repaired by a competent expert they are balanced by hand. New props -- especially cheapos -- can be out of balance.