Need Help! 35hp Johnson dropping a cylinder

Cougar_15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all,
I am fairly new to outboard motors and I am having a problem with my motor that I don't know how to troubleshoot. The motor is a 1976 Johnson 35 hp. I am at a cottage with the boat in the water. The first time I took the boat out, it seemed to be running OK except that it would seem to miss or skip from time to time at medium-low throttle. Once I gave it a little more throttle it stopped missing and seem to be running fine until I shut down the motor. Once it was shut down, I had a hard time getting it started and once I was able to start it there was no power. The best I could tell, it was only running on one cylinder. I limped back to the dock and pulled the plugs, the bottom plug was fine but the top plug was wet and oily. I cleaned the plugs and took it out again and the same thing happened, it ran pretty much ok (both cylinders firing with occasional miss at medium-low and fine at WOT) until I turned the motor off and then a hard start and only running on the lower cylinder. I tried replacing the plugs and had the same results.

So, my first guestion what could be causing the top plug to foul?

My second question is , is there anything I can try with the boat in the water to get it working? I only have access to a limited selection of tools until I get the boat back home at the end of the week...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need Help! 35hp Johnson dropping a cylinder

you only have one carb, so it can't be that. you probably have a coil bad, on the top cylinder, so it is not firing.

Cougar_15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just spoke with a tech at the local marina and he said that the symptoms sounded more like bad breaker points rather than an ignition coil, does this make sense? Is there a way to test the coil/points to determine which one it is???

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it could be either one. completely swap the positions of the working cylinder coil with the not working. it the problems follows the suspect coil, then it is the coil. if it stays with the cylinder then the points.

http://www.boatpartstore.com/page28.asp