Need help...35 evinrude quit on a trip

WTL

Seaman
Hello from central florida, day 2 of 9 of my spring fishing trip. I need advice, so Im gonna lay all the symptkms out...

79 evinrude 35 horse. Ran pretty good ghe first 2 days, but today around 3 it just wouldnt start, didnt evrn want to turn over. I let it sit, drained the bowl, air out the top plug...nothing. Used the tm to get back, 3 miles, then hit the ignition and it started right up in nuetral. Put it in gear and it moved me 10 feet, bucked a stopped dead, and would not start even innuetral.

I have noticed that ever since i bought the motor, after putting it in forward the motor used to buck once, like it hit a log, and then it was good. Kinda like it really wanted to get into gear.

In the past 2 days at wot it also on two seperate occasions felt like it hit a small log.

I know this in part sounds like a clutch dog problem, but would that makd it impossible to start?

I considered also perhaps igition could cause bucking, but at least the top cyl has spark.

I have a fair amount of money onthe line now, so any ideas for diagnostics would be appreciatex.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Need help...35 evinrude quit on a trip

Hi WTL. Sorry for your troubles, but the description of "hitting a small log" is a tell tale sign that the motor is slipping out of gear, usually do to a worn clutch dog. As for the inability to start, I think you may be having some electrical component failure. Electronic ignitions can overheat which will cause them to fail. After they have had time to cool, they will start to work again.

WTL

Seaman

I really thing the bucking symptom could be related to not starting...just going on the 10 seconds of running and yhe way it quit last time. After not starting or wanting to start for 3 hours, it started on the first key turn, but when i put it in gear and sped up, I might habe gone 10 feet before it bucked, then stopped. And then once again it was unstartable....

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Sorry to hear about your trip setback!

Is it a tiller or remote control?

When you 1st got it, would it also buck when you put it in reverse?

Is the starting solenoid activating (starter spinning) when you try to start it?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

also, have you gone around the motor & battery and verified that you have good electrical connections (i.e. no corrosion, loose ground, partially-seated control cable, etc.)?

WTL

Seaman

Starter is engaging fine, its remote steer. Its oozed a bit more gas and carb deposits out the lower end than ive seen before.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Flywheel key could be partially sheared, or spark plug leads not backwards are they?

Do you have a good spark on both cylinders?

There is a thread in the faqs entitled "Outboard Wont Start" that may help

boobie

Supreme Mariner

A "bucking " can also be caused by a good ignition miss. Had it happen to me. An ignition prob usually shows up when the mtr is warm.

WTL

Seaman

Sorry ive been awol, about 10 am i took a 30 minute break to fish just trolinv by theramp, andicaught my first 10 lb bass, so it aint all bad.

The top plug had spark, ill check both again later. Havent been able to get it to think about starting today, i even tried a quick spray of ether, although i know i shouldnt have. Still, nothing.

How would i check flywheel key? When i manuully turnthe flywheel ican hear the cylinders move and compress air.

WTL

Seaman

Ok, i tested spark again, and it sure seems like im only getting spark intermitantly... what are the stock gaps sposed to be

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The spark should jump a 7/16" open air gap on a spark tester. Plugs are gapped at .030".

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It sure sounds like you have at least an electric problem in ignition, maybe also a gear problem as pointed out, and the intermittent starting problem could be caused also by carburetor. Check also gear case oil and if the jumping out of gear gets soon more frequent you will need to repair your lower unit also.

Back to the starting problem, I had a very similar problem with my similar 35hp outboard. Right after running nice and working like a charm it would just not start and then start again after some time like no problems ever existed. I did carburetor maintenance, found out that the float needle valve was really worn out and was very likely leaking and/or sticking. That problem has not repeated itself after a new needle valve. A worn out valve and cause the carburetor to run empty or flood the engine, making starting impossible. Eventually the needle can become loose again, or the excess fuel has evaporated and the engine runs again.

WTL

Seaman

likitvi, i think you might be close... Although I didnt notice any problems when i rebuilt the carb a month ago, this motor sure seems to flood quickly. It also seems to have built up carb deposits in a hurry... i was able to get it to rev some today after fiddling with starting at high idle and using some seafoam. I might break down the carb again, but as you might imagine, i really dont have the enviroment i want for this type of work...

likitvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you renewed the needle valve and float, it might be as simple as the float being out of adjustment. If the problem is not more severe you'll just spend some extra time fishing before changing places every now and then. :)