Need hekp with 86 120 evinrude, dead hole

Cudos

Seaman
Hi guys, 86 120 looper. Started running funny all at once, lacking power. I replaced the plugs (new) and noticed that one of the plugs had no color on it after running for 15 minutes, the rest looked as they should. So I know that one cyl is not firing. Compression checked and good, all holes 125 psi.

I swapped a plug wire from another hole and then had it firing on that cyl so I assumed it was a wire. Replaced with a new wire and still have the same problem in the same hole. It seems to be intermittant, meaning once in a while it seems to be firing but mostly not, probably why I thought it was fixed when I swapped a plug wire from another hole. I installed a clean new plug and still had zero carbon or color on the plug after running it. So where do I go from here?? coil pack for that plug? then what after that. Please help me work backwards from most obvious on.

Thanks in advance

Re: Need hekp with 86 120 evinrude, dead hole

start with the coil. It might be corrosion under the coil thats stopping the coil from grounding or it could be a coil that is failing. If a spark tester shows the coil is good when cold, warm the motor and test again as a bad coil will fail when warm. Another test is to trade the coil to a different cylinder and if the problem moves its the coil and if the problem stays than use the CDI troubleshooting guide as it probably the power pack which is a expensive item to buy for a test

Cudos

Seaman

Thanks Glenn, I will start with the coil, you mentioned that warming up and the coil failing, that might explain why I would think the wire fixed it. Seemed to be good cold but would crap out warm. I've pulled the coil and will start there. Thanks again!

Cudos

Seaman

Alright guys, have replaced plug wire, did not fix. Have replaced ignition coil, did not fix. What's next?? does it have to be the power pack?? plugs are new and also tried spare ones.

Cheers

no its time to look on line for the CDI troubleshooting manual and start trouble shooting the problem with a meter.