Need guidance inflating my old Achilles

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
So I picked up an old (c. 1983?) Achilles LTD-4 as a family Xmas present. I had some difficulties getting the wood floors into it. Are you supposed to inflate it, then put the floors in, or do I put the flooring in, and then inflate? Thanks!

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need guidance inflating my old Achilles

inflate opprox. 1/3 of the way all chambers, then install floor boards, then finish inflating

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

^^^^^^^^ Yes. I'd like to add: if you don't have an inflation gauge and aren't VERY experienced in testing tube pressure by feel, then you should get one. It's amazing how many people under inflate their boats. You also want to be careful not to over inflate.

When installing the floor boards, insert the two bow boards, and then the aft-most board, then the middle, "tenting" the middle boards and push down. Next, install the stringers on each side by rotating them into place between the tubes and the floor boards.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Must add to what Jacoboregon recommends that a well inflated sib with gauge performs/rides much better than any sib inflated by feel/touch specially if you are a newbie inflating inflatables, it's a rigidity issue.

But being such and old sib (1983 ?) would have my doubts about going full inflation (3.5 PSI) as the glue on seams could be excesively died out producing a seam rupture while inflating to that pressure. If you don't want this eventually to happen, start inflating to 2.5 PSI and end at 3.0 PSI on all air chambers including keel.

Happy Boating

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Great guidance from everyone, thanks! What does an inflation gauge for an inflatable look like? I have some cylinder thingy that has a spring in it, and I think it says something about psi on it, but I didn't look at it too closely. :confused: