Need Good Oil!

jimdi@localnet.com

Seaman Apprentice
Ok - I had my Force 125 Rebuilt after 12 years (broken ring). I have read here to use good oil and decarbon your force to keep it alive. My mechanic put in new pistons - the works - said the new piston design was better on rings than the old one. - Anyway - <br /><br />What is a good oil? I have heard that Wal-Marts own brand of oil is good. TC3 - Isn't it just their equivilent of "quicksilver?"<br /><br />What and where can I get decarbonizer - how do you use it?<br /><br />email me jimdi@localnet.com<br /><br />JIm <br /><br />PS Up to the day I broke a ring - my Force was great! NEVER had a problem.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Need Good Oil!

I have run the Walmart brand TCW-3 with out problems.<br /><br />If your motor was just rebuilt you do not need to decarbon. Avoid the premium gas (93 octane) which does not do anything for your motor except accelerate carbon deposits.<br /><br />Be sure to run double the oil during your initial break in of the motor after rebuild.<br /><br />Just FYI Chemtrol B-12 from walmart works as a decarbonizer.<br /><br />Bob

jimdi@localnet.com

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks - <br /><br />Break in is done - rebuild was done over the winter. When should I decarbonize? <br /><br />What is the procedure - remove plugs - spray cylinders - start - spray down carbs - Like Fogging?<br /><br />Where in wal mart do you find the decarbonizer?<br />Auto? Sporting Goods?<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br />Jim

jimdi@localnet.com

Seaman Apprentice

Any one else have strong feelings on oil?<br /><br />Any one have any oils to stay away from?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Just remember that a TCW rating means nothing other than the oil has meet MINIMUM performance standards. Unfortunately they will never release the actual test results so its a crap shoot so pay your money and take your chances. I for one have had great results using Merc Premium Plus over the years and will stay with it.

icatcher

Cadet

I have a 1999 120 Force Outboard and I have used Quicksilver oil exclusively with no fouling problems and no repairs to date. <br /><br />While I would only use OEM oil, I think it is equally important to properly prepare the engine for storage for the off-season. I always take the boat/motor to our local dealer in the fall for a tune-up, fuel stabilizer and fogging - this way it has always been ready to go in the spring and I have never been left without power on the water and I have never had any starting problems.<br /><br />Despite what you might read, I believe Force engines can deliver long and reliable life if they are maintained properly and not abused.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Decarbonize every few years. The product to get is called Sea Foam and is available in NAPA stores. The are also other similar products in aerosol cans (Sea Foam is not).<br /><br />In the meantime, use a carbon reduction product always in the gas. OMC's product is called Carbon Guard. Merc dealers I'm sure have a similar product.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Decarbonize every few years. The product to get is called Sea Foam and is available in NAPA stores. The are also other similar products in aerosol cans (Sea Foam is not).<br /><br />In the meantime, use a carbon reduction product always in the gas. OMC's product is called Carbon Guard. Merc dealers I'm sure have a similar product.<br /><br />Any known brand oil rated TCW-3 should be OK, but some people get passionate about oil!

HowieDean

Seaman

Penzoil Synthetic PREMIUM 2cycle TCW3... Buy it at WallMart...<br />$19.95 a gallon... Threre really isn't much better out there... We run it in our Merc race motors that turn 11,000 Rpms and would not think of using anything else...<br /><br />Penzoil makes 2 grades of this oil... be sure to get the one that says Premium....<br />
img13.jpg

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always have used quicksilver premium plus and use Valtech decarb sold at Boaters World.<br /><br />Have had no problems. I recommend Quicksilver.

HowieDean

Seaman

Just a silly question...<br />If you have NO Problems.. what is the Decarb for...<br /><br />If you don't run that High Ash trash your motor won't carbon up in the first place...<br /><br />That's just my opion<br />I could be wrong

scubaman67

Seaman Apprentice

Seafoam can be bought at Napa stores. comes in a aerosol can and a fuel additive. purchased a motor that was really carbonized, used the aerosol can first, and fuel additive for first 20 gallons or so. runs like a champ now. i think I paid about 5 bucks a can for 4 cans. good luck..

jimdi@localnet.com

Seaman Apprentice

It seems the majority like quicksilver - <br /><br />But I am confused about this SeaFoam and other de carbon GAS ADDITIVES.<br /><br />I have heard is the rule was NEVER add anything but oil to the gas. Is this decarbonizer "additive" made for OUTBOARDS. <br /><br />I would think it would dilute the oil.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Most engine mfgs were recommending decarb ever 50 hours. See operators manual and service manual your engine.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

And even sooner than that on engines that are lugged or "overpropped" (man I hate that term!).<br /><br />We did a rest on a V4 crossflow that coked up and broke rings in 19.5 hours in a severe load test.<br /><br />Good luck!

dutch135

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have switched all my 2 strokers over to Amsoil Synthetic oil, and have been very happy with it. I like their guarantees, and the fact that it can be mixed with any other oils. Running it in my sleds, 2 are injected and one I mix, and run it in the Mercury v-6 135 hp outboard, as well as chain saw and string trimmer. I can buy it for $17.80 a gallon, but have heard of some places lower. Good luck! :cool: