need fishfinder advice

tweeder

Cadet
i just went and picked up a 1990 trophy. the previous owner gave me the original fishfinder and depth find, but i'm not sure how they work and they are very outdated. i'm just curious to see if anyone has any advice. i don't want to spend a whole paycheck, but i want something that will last. i will primarily be using this boat in freshwater or the intracoastal. <br />thanks

whiteman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: need fishfinder advice

Go for a unit with a high pixel count (480x480) such as the Lowrance X125/X135 or Eagle equivalents. These are mono units but they give sensational performance for the price. Colour units add a bit to the price and won't help a heap in capturing those elusive fish.

stevepgill

Cadet

Hello,<br /> What are the Eagle equivelents to the Lowrance unit?<br /><br />Steve

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Eagle units would be the Seafinder 480. I feel pixel count not really that important until you get in deep water (over 100 feet) So the Seafinder 320 would work also.<br /><br />Deep water (200 feet fresh) then power is also very important. For Salt water a 50 Khz transducer and power are important.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check out the Humminbird Matrix 17. Great FF for the money. Go to a marine store and play with the different ones on simulator mode. You'll find that some are really difficult to understand and operate.