Need engine but what size?

edandq

Seaman Apprentice
I just am finishing up restoring my 1970 Starcraft (aluminum) SS. It is rated for a 85HP and had a 1970 Johnson 85 installed until recently when I gave it to the mechanic to pay for his labor when it still never got fixed! I know weight is an issue but the '85 screamed and want to keep the same power or more. I heard that the newer 70's have the same HP as the older 85's. Is that true? How much more weight can I add and not affect the boat's performance? Any thoughts/suggestions?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need engine but what size?

Hi, Edandq.<br /><br />Your old 85 was probably equivalent in hp to a modern 70-80hp and weighed around 300lb.<br /><br />A new Johnson carbed 90 2 stroke is probably the closest thing you can get in overall performance and weight.<br /><br />I think I would look for a well kept JohnnyRude 70 or 75hp three cylinder and expect the weight difference (about 50lb less) to make up for about 5hp.<br /><br />It wouldn't have quite the snap out of the hole that the 85 did, but will use about half as much gas and go as fast or faster at top end.<br /><br />Other good choices in 2 strokes are the Yamaha 70 and 90, Evinrude DFI 75 (quite heavy.<br /><br />In a 4 stroke I am a big fan of the Johnson/Suzuki EFI DF70. A bit heavier than your 85, but a sweet, strong 70hp engine.<br /><br />There are some possibles.<br /><br />I am going to move this to General Outboard, where it should get more attention.<br /><br />Good luck. :)