need carburator help "frozen in miami'

osly007

Cadet
i received a lot of help from my post back in november "to make it short i received a motor that sat outside for 6 years in boston mass " have unfrozen her and yesterday was big day she started up but won't idle<br />1) 1985 60 hp johnson<br />2) i rebuilt carbs i think i did a good job<br />but i am not the best mechanic<br />3) IT WILL STAY ON ONLY IF I PLAY WITH THE THROTTLE AND CHOKE LINKAGE AT THE SAME TIME <br /> WHAT WOULD BE MY NEXT STEP

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: need carburator help "frozen in miami'

Just a suggestion but been there.<br />I would determine if your timing and carbs are synchronized or not. <br />This is done with linkage adjustments with motor off. Manual will show how. Very simple procedure but important. If not fuel will not fire at the right time.<br />Choke should only effect a cold or fuel starved motor. <br /> :) Mike

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd start by looking for a leak, if its suckin air somewhere its not supposed to be, that could result in the problem you are having.<br /><br />did you change the mixture settings when you did the carbs?<br /><br />a quick "self help" mixture settings method is to do the following.<br /><br />wind the mixture out 2.5 turns and start the engine, run it at fast idle.<br /><br />then start winding the mixture in, count half turns until you reach the point where the engine starts bogging down. remember how many turns that point was.<br /><br />now put it back at 2.5 turns, get it idling fast again, same place as before.. this time, start winding the mixtur screw out, and mark the point where it starts bogging down again and remember how many turns out that tool. (I usually count half turns.)<br /><br />You now have the points where it bogs on high and low mixture, work out the middle point as close as you can, and set the mixture there, thats a good "off the wall" way of getting it fairly close.<br /><br /><br />So, if you started at 2.5 turns out, and wound it 1.5 turns back in, then the inner point at which it bogged down was 1 turn from fully in.<br /><br />likewise if you started and 2.5 turns out, and wound it another 2.5 turns, that makes it 5 turns out from fully in before it bogged down.<br />so the midpoint of that is 3 turns out from fully in. make sense?<br /><br />if you have trouble grasping that, try drawing it on a timeline type of graph, it'd make more sense that way.<br /><br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

osly007

Cadet

thanks for the advice guys as far as the mixture screw goes i don't think it has any.and i change all the car. hoses and they are brand new i read how to synchronize the carbs in the manual but it's still a little confusing when i move the linkage that attaches the 2 carbs 'air baffles i guess they are called " they both seem to move the same i will try again when you set the timing light can you use an automotive timing light? thanks