Need Carb help...

sincraft

Seaman
I have a 1988 - 9.9 Mercury that was HARD to start and ran very rough when finally started then usually died. The longest I had her running was about 30 seconds but never kicked it into gear to blow the cobwebs out as I was in a trashcan in the backyard. <br />SO I decide to replace the impeller, change the oil, and rebuild the carb. <br />Completely new to all of this, I bought a Seloc manual as people seemed to rave about the. Either they never really owned one and were just following the common ideology, or theirs were closer to the fact than for my engine...<br /><br />The problem. I have managed to figure everything out for myself as the seloc manual left off VERY critical things, especially when it came to removing/repairing the lower unit. <br />This held true with the carb. In the book it showed an outside plate that had a diaphram going first (against the carb) then the gasket, then the outside plate. <br />However on MY carb, I have another piece of plating that has a plunger type of something in the fuel pump system that is about 3/8" thick and made of some sort of fiber or plastic material. <br />So I installed it like this: Carb, diaphram, gasket (as per the book) then this is where I differ...instead of the outside plate, I put the middle fiber plate, then another diaphram, then another gasket, then the final outside plate.<br /><br />I just followed suit with the other set of diaphram/gasket combo..<br /><br />But tonight when I went to start her up, I got nothing..I even sprayed some starter into the hole and only got it running for a few seconds then it dies.<br />It's a PAIN to take this thing out and put it back again, and the first time I forgot to put a little tiny hose on the bottom of the carb that ran into the engine block somewhere so I had to remove it and place this hehe. ARGH.<br /><br />What should I do? I left all the screw settings where they were when I removed the carb. So I am wondering if something is fubared? The gasket kit left much to be desired as it gave no instructions and was JUST slightly off of the holes here and there a bit...I expected it to be a bit more precise for a carb but maybe it's not that important?<br /><br />I double, triple checked and I have the right rebuild kit - so what should I do now??????? :( <br /><br /><br />Anyone have a service manual they would be willing to help me out with or know anything about this or the orientation of said products?<br />S

MortenH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need Carb help...

Hello!<br />Check out dougrussell.com - he has exploded views of every part of your engine. This will probably give you the hlep to see if everything is correct assembled.<br /><br />-M-

sincraft

Seaman

God guys, thanks alot for your help!!! Can't look now (at work with boss) but will during lunch :) <br /><br />Edit: I just looked at that BigHammer Site. WOW...that BLLLLLLLOOOWS those junky Seloc manuals AWAY! Now why didnt anyone tell me about these sites before when I asked about engine repair and was told to get Seloc!??!?! ehhe.<br /><br />Wasted 30 bucks....well..until it ebays. :) <br /><br />THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!<br /><br />S

sincraft

Seaman

Update:<br />All is well. I used the schematics from ROdc's and Norway's links - which looked the same and gave me confidence they were correct hehe...BUT mine was still a BIT different as there was one more gasket in the mix. <br />SO I took the old ones out of the trash and look at the impressions made and on what sides they were made from...and put her back together.<br /><br />I pulled a few times, had a couple of pops but nothing. I then pulled the choke and it almost started the first pull. Second pull it started, ran rough for about 3 seconds, then ran fine for about another 5 when I finally shut it down because no water was coming out of the tail. :( I replaced the impeller and possibly missed connecting the intake to the intake tube...<br />Water was spewing from everywhree BUT the tattletail LOL...<br />Hope I didnt do anything bad, but from what I have been told these old 2 strokes have been run for hours without water and still been ok. Not sure about that but doubt 10 seconds hurt it although all books say no more than 4 or 5 seconds tops.<br /><br />Now to fix the transom, paint, rewire the boat and IN the water she goes (hopefully staying open end up!) :) <br /><br />Thanks again guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />S