Need answer ASAP please!! About lower units

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice
Hi... There's a lower unit I may be able to get... Kinda a quick deal- my motor is a 1982 125hp... Donor motor is a 100hp..? Are these compatible (bolt patterns,size) gearing aside- I can re prop if I must... Thanks for a quick answer guys

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need answer ASAP please!! About lower units

s - l - o - w d - o - w - n

I'm reasonably adept at Google searches, but durned if I could find anything on an "ASAP" outboard.

Catch my drift?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Drop your lower unit and take it with you to compare the two lower units.

Remember that a used lower unit is a high risk item. They really need to be pressure and vacuum tested to make sure the seals are good. The grease also needs to be drained to look for shards of metal and evidence of water contamination. It's a job best done by an experienced boat mechanic.

You could buy such a piece without doing your homework, but you might be buying a good anchor if you don't go about it the right way.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_6880.jpg102_6591.jpg102_6592.jpg102_6594.jpg102_6464.jpg

1982 will still be a Chrysler. 100 horsepower was mad from early 1970s. As long as it is a post 1979 lower unit the bolt pattern is the same and USUALLY the drive shaft length is the same. You do need to be careful because Chrysler DID make some 25 inch extra long engines.

If the donor lower unit is a 2 piece lower, then the bolt patterns are different and not compatible. First and last photos are the one piece. Center photos are the two piece.

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks fellas :) and settle down thar geezer ol mate- was on eBay here and had 4 hrs to go, cheap so I was gunna bid if it was straight swap mate... No arrogance intended :) went any way...