Need advise on potential Starcraft purchase!

Fishatron

Cadet
Hello everyone!

I've been addicted to browsing and reading the threads in this section (also the resto section) for nearly a month or so.

Anyways, I'm looking for a 16-18' Starcraft SS or Holiday (prefer the SS for the bowrider). I'm not looking for a project but I don't mind doing alittle bit of work, I'm mechanically inclinded also.

Today I went and checked out an 18' 1979 SS with a 120 hp Evinrude V4 ('78 i think). It was in decent enough shape inside, bow seat cushions were good, cockpit seats were cracked/ripped around the corners edges. The floor was springy feeling but not soft feeling. The transom had been repalced 6 years ago, and looked good. the motor was nice looking (not an engine expert). So far I was pretty happy. Then i start to check the hull and I notice a 6" sq patch panel that had been riveted on, on the bottom of the hull (would be approx under the passenger side jump seat, sorry don't know my nautical sides/terms). The sellers had no idea it was there (I believe them, they seem like good people), they have had the boat for 6 years. Probably from the PO. They hadn't really noticed any leaks, they never had to use the bilge pump and admitted the bilge did not work anymore.

Should this patch deter me??:confused: The price is fair but not like what some of you guys are finding.

Sorry about the long post. Thanks in advance!

Keep up with the Starcraft restos!!

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need advise on potential Starcraft purchase!

IMHO If the price is right for you ( I live on the west coast so prices here are always higher) and the boat seems in good shape and minimal repairs needed. Should make a nice set up. The motor should be started and run smooth. And shifts f-R. I will asume the Motor that size has power tilt and trim (be sure it works) The patch on the Hull they say seems to hold but you may listen to some good advice from the forum. I have just totaly rebuilt a 16 SS last fall and love the way it performs. I also have a 22 Holiday with a 200 OB Johnson on it. That 18 with the 120 motor ought to fly. There are a few Canadians up your way that have done a lot of work on there boats with good results. Pugetsound

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

A patch wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but that is just one piece of the puzzle. The big pieces would be the asking price, engine, trailer, hull condition, transom, deck, windshield, then everything else. In just about that order too.

Have fun man!:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think a 120 is much newer than 78. They were 115s in the earlier years.

Fishatron

Cadet

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I don't think it's a deal breaker, however, not knowing why that patch is there bugs me. That dang patch is the only thing holding me from pulling the trigger!

The motor does have working powertrim/tilt. I looked at the plate on the moter and 78 was the last 2 digits...I have not heard it running yet, but they we very willing to show it running in a future visit (once de-winterized).

My dad tells me to walk away and keep shopping. Are Super Sports rare to come by?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nah, not so much.

SS that fits my budget? Very rare indeed!

barato2

Commander

the patch wouldn't faze me a bit if it looked like it was competently done....ie, sufficient rivets, bent to follow hull contours, some kind of sealant used underneath, hull holds water. remember that if it bugs you and price is right otherwise, you can always re-do it with a TIG welded patch if you're going to be refinishing the hull anyway.

Fishatron

Cadet

thanks guys, after more thinking, and other boats popping up for sale, I've decided to keep looking.
A soft floor or transom don't scare me as much as a patch in the hull.

Hopefully i'll be able to join the Starmada soon, cheers!

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I would take a small patch that visible over a boat with other issues anyday. Alumonum is easly fixed and if that one is vivibel could be redone very inexpensivly. However good hunting there as you say are a lot of boats and with Gas going over, or close to $5 gallon there will be more also.