Need advice on trailer repair

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought a new to me boat and the trailer needs some work. I need to put on new bunks and do some welding then painting. My question is can I set the boat in the grass in the yard with out it being damaged. I called the local marinas and everybody wants 150 bucks to leave it at the dock for a week. It was even more to store it in the rack on a temporary basis. Thought about puting down some kind of foam or something. Just looking for the cheapest way to get this done.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need advice on trailer repair

what kind of boat? Most people use jacks or blocks.

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A 16 foot Glastron fiberglass v-hull, 90 hp Yamaha ob

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it is a roller trailer it would be very easy. If it is a bunk trailer, it could be a more difficult.

If it is a roller trailer, Back up to a tree, loosen the bow strap so you have about a foot of slack pust the boat back, if it does not go, back the trailer up and lightly tap the brakes, you want to get the end of the boat hang free. keep doing this until the boat is balanced on the back of the trailer. Have someone stand on the tounge of the trailer to raise the back end of the boat, then block the back of the trailer. Cinder blocks, and 2x6 work well. Run a strap around the tree, to the boat. Block the keel and slowly pull the trailer forward and add blocking to the keel as you move forward.

To get the boat back on the trailer, you will have to winch the trailer under the boat, just like pulling the boat at the ramp, but this time you back the trailer under the boat lift the tounge high, and get the trailer back as far as you can, attach the trailer winch and crank it the trailer should slide under the boat.