Need advice on selling used boat

suds

Seaman Apprentice
Going to sell 1999 Searay 180 Bowrider. Plan on advertising in local paper, but would like to increase chances by placing an ad in a boating magazine or online site. Any suggestions or prior experience with this type of advertising? I've heard selling a used boat can be an awful hard thing to do. I hope not.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need advice on selling used boat

suds, you might want to check right here at iboats.<br />They have a section for placing ads for you boat.<br /><br />There are also several places on the www where you can place it.<br /><br />Check with either kelly blue book or nada to see what your boat is worth and go from there.

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just this weekend I sold my old boat. Where you ask!! none other than Wal-Mart. Saturday morning I went out to look at a boat that I had seen for sale at the lake on Friday and decided to buy it. I convinced my wife that I could get my money back by selling my old boat. So as soon as I got back with the newsed boat I took the old gal out to the Wal-Mart parking lot and before I was done unhitching her. Someone ask if it was for sale (never mind that it had for sale signs on it). Anyway, to make a long story short, within a matter of hours I had bought a boat and sold my old one. To tell you the truth, I did not dream that it would be that easy, but it was. Good luck selling your boat.<br /><br />Water_Surge :D

Norm Malcosky

Seaman

Suds,<br /><br />I sold my 30' Sportcraft thru iboats.com. It took about three months (sept- dec) to complete the sale and about $45 for the ad in "iboats".<br /><br />Put as many hi-resolution pictures with the ad as you can (mine had 12) and offer as much written description about the boat as you have available. All items should be detailed (i.e. engine size, hp, mfg, hours; accessories, trim tabs, spotlight; electronics, depth, navigation, speed, radio (vhf & entertainment); boat size, length, beam, weight, hull type; trailer specs; canvas details. <br /><br />Better hurry the Spring boat buying season is almost history and during the fall/winter season everyone is looking for bargins. :) <br /><br />erie_guy

fishhunter911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

suds,<br /><br /> where ya at and how much????? I'm looking for a boat now that my outboard bit the dust

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Try the Want Advertiser. Be careful of some of those online, guarenteed to sell your boat for a mere $300 up front sites.I registered with something like "AmericanBoatListings.com" (sorry if I'm wrong on the site, need example) or something to that effect. What a mistake that was, the guy was calling my house 5 times a day looking for his $200, boat show special price. And I've viewed the site, some of the same boats been sitting there. THEN I read somewhere about this scam............ read above!!!

suds

Seaman Apprentice

FishHunter, I'm in Ocean City NJ.

EDIT: Sorry, Suds. You are getting too close to advertising where it is not allowed. JB

Last edited by a moderator:

orenayash

Recruit

hey suds i tell you what really helped me when i sold my boat. usold.com instead of doing one or two websites they do thousands of classified sites like iboats, boats.com, oodle, ebay, boattrader....all those for you plus they do a 90 money back guarantee they don't sell it they give you your money back. check it out. www.uSold.com

ekinnee

Seaman

Beware that selling a boat online will probably attract at least one or two scam artists. Never take checks for more than the amount of the sale, heck never take personal checks for that matter.

If the deal sounds fishy, it probably is.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Put it in Craigslist.com and provide a detailed description, hours on the motor, any upgrades/modifications you've made and provide a link to a photo album of the boat. List your phone number.
Good luck in selling it. ;).

NolaZach

Seaman Apprentice

Craigslist.com

Its FREE, it has a high volume while being set up locally. So you can put your ad up in your city and in others (like S. Florida, MI, LA-where there is a sellers market).

You can do other things too, but being free, it never hurts to use craigslist. I have bought and sold on it with no problems.