Need advice in choosing rod and reel

Knotiboy

Seaman
Fishing stripers from a boat,I'm looking for a flexble setup for bait and lure casting if possible :confused: <br />Regards

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Need advice in choosing rod and reel

:) Penn Slammer sls2716 medium action 6'6" long rated for 12-20lb. test about $60-70 bucks I use 30lb. with 40lb. flourocarb leader, and I know it handles 30-40lb. fish!!! Has held up very well with the abuse that charter anglers give em!!!! ;) :cool:

Fly Rod

Commander

:) You might want to look into the Shimano Bait Runner 6500 series!!! Everybody that I know that has one seems to love em!!! I have all Penns, but I am going to switch to baitrunners as the Penns break down!!!

Knotiboy

Seaman

Can I cast bait such as herring with the baitrunner and the Penn Slammer sls2716?<br />Regards

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Are you a fly fisherman by any chance???

rolmops

Vice Admiral

It may seem a bit different ,but did you ever consider wire lining?<br />I use big bucktail lures with 40 or 50 pound test wire line on a 113 Penn Senator mounted on a Penn Black Sabre with wire line guides.I am extremely happy with this setup.Mostly because fishing off Cape Cod there is so much variation. The dogfish do not like bucktails(except the red ones).The bluefish do not rip through the line and steal the lure ,they get caught.Besides,while trolling herring for stripers with this setup I caught 2 footballs, one of them 71 pounds.I never had to change rods this one setup does it all.I take only 3 rods with me in my boat.One light spinner combo for surface blues in a feeding frenzy,one fluke setup and then my trusty sabre rig.this beats having to carry 5 or 6 rods that just get in the way.

Knotiboy

Seaman

Yes I am,have been for 20 years fly fishing speckled trout.I have a 9 foot Fenwick with a Pleuger reel.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Nice set up rolmops!!! <br /><br />I've used wire line but I feel the area is to rocky and way to many lobsta traps around here!!!<br /><br />Back to your question of casting bait with that slammer outfit, "YES"!!!!! <br /><br />Try using a flyrod on them stripers!!! deceivers in white bucktail/pearl krystal flash/chartuese or black bucktail in 5-8" lengths, sparsely tied and you can use dumbbell eye weights!!! A depth charge line is excellent when in 8' or more of water!!! ;) :cool:

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

My favoite is a Penn 6500, & a 6/7' Ugly stick, with power-pro line @ 50# test.

Knotiboy

Seaman

rolmops,<br />What kind of setup are you useing when trolling stripers with hering?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Dependent on the trolling speed and depth I use 17# or 26# leadcore dacron line with with a steel leader and 3 hooks about 2 inches apart.The first hook hooked in the head as the pulling hook and the second and third along the body.This way no bluefish gets away unpunished with half a herring to show for it.For deep/rough or football filled water I go back to the 50# wire line/sabre setup,but also there use the 3 hook system.If there are dogfish in the water forget about investing in herring and go artificial doused in either cod liver oil or fish meal.<br />I find that good use of depth finder and chart plotter gps with waypoint marker ability greatly improves the catch.Just mark the spot where you hooked into the fish every time and after the third or fourth fish you can see the trolling pattern and the effective areas within.

Knotiboy

Seaman

rolmops,<br />Do you use a dodger or some sort to get the fishes attention or do you troll with your setup?<br /><br />Would there be any good use in useing a downrigger instead of leadcore?

fondafj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Knotiboy,<br />Pen 320GTI's are reliable and affordable. Matched to a medium weight ugly stick and it is a pretty versatil combo. Use mono at first until you get the feel for casting as braided is a bear to untangle. <br /> We target the same fish drifting with big bucktails using mono and/or braided. I haven't quite warmed up to the wireline retrieve of "point the tip at the fish". The bucktail is on a 3 way - 2 oz bucktail with #6 hook - and a 12-16 oz sinker for a weight. The bucktail leader should be 50-60 lb test and 3-5 ft long. The sinker leader is lighter and 1-2 ft lonf. This rig is drift fished on into reefs (deeper to shallower water) in the following manner: drop till the weight hits, raise 3 cranks (for 3 - 4:1 ratio reels) and hold the tip pointed directly at the water. Let the rig drift without jigging. Any bump, set the hook and if there is no fish, crank 3 more times and repeat. This has proven to be very productive in the water we fish.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

There are far to many lobster pots around for doing anything fancy,so yes I troll with this setup.That means that with wireline I often have over 400 feet of line out in order to get it deep enough down.In choppy water I like to use a dipsy diver because that will get me down faster to even 90 feet if neccesary.This is good when the water gets warm (August).<br />Downriggers and lobsterpots mean double trouble.So if there is a pot anywhere close have only the bare necessities in the water and try to stay down current of the floats.

bones1918

Cadet

look at the noaa chart for where you're fishing.. if the bottom is pretty flat a downrigger is a great idea. but it it's up and down i wouldnt really bother. the only time you really want a downrigger is if the fish are holding in 50 or 60 feet of water or deeper.. and you dont really want to put out 20 colors of lead core to try to get down that deep.