Need advice for the MC 1 od on my 9teen

hws1776

Cadet
Hey ANYBODY, I have an issue with my OD and I need some help.

I recently had my OD rebuilt (seals, water pump, etc) and I got to use the boat for 3 days and then, the gears in the upper failed and cracked the housing. I paid $1100 to have the thing rebuilt (I know, could have bought a new one).

At any rate, I found another good used unit and I am trying to swap the "good" upper with the rebuilt lower from the spent drive but, I cannot get it to shift into gear.

I am new ay working on these since I cannot afford another grand and it looks fairly simple but, I must have done something wrong i.e. didn't put the drive in fwd prior to removal or something got bumped while removing and swapping around.

The new used drive that I got (for 200 bucks) did work but the water pump was bad so instead of just changing the pump, I thought swapping the rebuilt with the $200 lower with the bad pump would have been fairly easy.

what did I do wrong?

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need advice for the MC 1 od on my 9teen

You are probably right about bumping something or not having put it into gear before dropping it. It took four or five tries before mine slid back into place.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

shift shaft should be in forward top and bottom and the spacer needs to be ther on shaft of lower. turn it ccw i think post on the outdrive forum for better answer

ziggy

Admiral

did you try to shift the lower while on the bench? do that to confirm that the lower itself if shifting.

fwd= prop locks ccw, ratchets, cw
neu= prop free wheels with no sound, no feel
rev= prop locks cw, ratchets ccw.

this is the norm.

after doing that, put your lower in fwd and use a bungee cord to load the prop ccw. this way it has it's best chance of staying in gear. if the propshaft moves any at all in the cw direction, it will likely no longer be in fwd.

put the remote at the helm in fwd.
the shift shaft coupler between the bell housing and the upper should now be facing fore and aft.

mate the lower to the upper.

don't know if your doing this on the boat or on the bench. but on the bench is A LOT easier. a one person job too.

this is something i understand but don't know for a fact. but i do believe it.
i don't know how bad your upper gears disintegrated. but be cafefull if the gears turned to dust. the lower and upper share gear lub. if metal fragments are found while draining, or even the suspision of metal dust from the gears getting crushed. be leary of the lower. the metal will eat up the seals and also be in between the gears in the lower as they are in mesh. metal fragments and gears and seals don't usually last so long the way i get it.

if you don't have the mercruiser service manual, go here. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430 look at item #9, probably get s/m #3 and 4. ones the drive, ones the engine.
read the section on assembly of the lower to the upper for the facts from mercruiser as to how they want you to do this project.

shift cables in old boats like ours need to be replaced if they havn't already. it needs to move very freely.

i see ya got this question over in the i/o fourm too. good. that's where your best shot at some of the real techs seeing it are. AristoCraft made our boats. but the engine is supplied by mercruiser.

hws1776

Cadet

Hye Ziggy, thanks for the info but I figured out the problem.
Looks like I went from an MC to an MR and even though they are exact, the vertical shaft on the MC is shorter than the MR by about 3 inches.
I just rebuilt the lower for the MR and it all went together fine. Had her back in the lake on Saturday and she's good to go now...back to the restoration business that's needed.

hws1776

Cadet

Figured it out, I was trying to put the lower from an MC onto the upper from an MR and the shaft is shorter on the MC.

Thanks for the reply.