Need a step on my trailer tounge, darn near broke my leg today

paidfor

Cadet
023.jpg

024.jpg

026.jpgWas launching the boat today and stepped on the trailer tounge while the boat was in the water. Foot slipped off the tounge and cut a 4 in gash to the bone in my left leg. Rushed to ER with the boat in tow, floorboard full of blood and was expecting stiches. They took xrays and found I had cracked a bone in the process. So they only gave me one stich to hold the flap closed till I could see a bone dr. to see what he thought. They were afraid of stitching it up and having to cut it open later for the bone Dr. Needless to say I will be getting a platform to mount to the tounge and trash those darn crocks I was wearing. And....no fish for the day.

Last edited:

LnCoyote

Cadet
Re: Need a step on my trailer tounge, darn near broke my leg today

Ouch! That looks painful. I wonder if you can put that in the lawsuit against Crocs?...lol. Just FYI I went fishing and they weren't biting anyways.:)

Dead Horse

Cadet

at least ya did it on your fishing day-- i been rakeing leaves all day--

BTW - a little bandaid and ya will be good as new in a month or so -sorry for your bad luck- the step idea is a good one - gota take a look at that--

NYBo

Admiral

Yikes!:eek:

Hope your recovery is quick.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe some grip tape on there. I know the fenders on may trailer have it and I plan to a add some on the tounge where I step too. That looks painfull.

sambar2010

Recruit

Man, I feel your pain. Had a similar expierence two days ago, but not quite as severe. My trailer has an angled tube that holds the winch. I am currently adding a step on that tube above the winch. I put the pieces together with clamps and it works "perfectly". I would love to give you a "picturew" but my computer skills are really BAD. Good luck.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

And you let that stop you from fishing ? If you were my brother, i would have sewed him back up with some used fishing line and a dull needle.

Course, i would have docked at the ER if it was me.

Hope you heal quick and get back out there.

flamingo1227

Cadet

That one is bad. Hope you heal quickly.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ouch! Sorry to hear/see about your accident.

I have short platforms that bolt to tongue giving you a wider area to step/stand. They also have nonslip tape on them.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yep, barefoot would be better than Crocs for launching/retrieving. IMHO, second most idiotic shoe ever invented, right next to the flip-flop.

<<)))(((>>

paidfor

Cadet

Ouch! Sorry to hear/see about your accident.

I have short platforms that bolt to tongue giving you a wider area to step/stand. They also have nonslip tape on them.

Well, I am off to the Orthopedic Dr. this morning to see what they say. I hope they stitch the thing up. Having it open like it is will take a long time for it to heal. Plus I am on crutches. And that sucks big time.

If any of you have any ideas of how to mount a platform to the tounge or what you did to fix this problem, let me know. And send some pictures. I have thought of the non slip tape you apply but I am thinking that would help but I would like a bigger target.

My boat is a tracker and it sits on a tracker trailer. Not a lot of room on the tounge for a platform but I would be interested in seeing what you all have done. Maybe a folding platform?

Thanks for all of the well wishes. I cannot wait to get back on the water.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

A day at the ER is better than a day in the office, or something like that. :D

Sorry to see your injury. That is going to leave a mark. Ouch!

Hopefully the bone injury is just a scrape or chip and not a fracture.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

At least it happened at the end of the season and not the start. Question,Why were you standing on the tongue of the trailer in the first place?

paidfor

Cadet

I was stepping off of the bow to the tounge. Crocks have no traction - as I realize now.

Dave-in-Olathe

Recruit

I have my spare tire mounted close to where the bow rests on the trailer, works great when launching I can release the strap and step right up on to the boat and when I load the boat onto the trailer I can use the spare as a hand hold while I step down.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Some of this pultruded fiberglass grating would make a nice no-slip platform or plank down the length of the trailer.

Attachments

• grating.jpg
    grating.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 0

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

i have a wide 2x4 type board on my trailer tongue.just bolted on with U-bolts

j_martin

Admiral

Not a problem. I powerload.:eek: