Need a quick opinion on a possible trade.

hunterope

Seaman
All, I need some quick advice.. I was approached about trading my manual start 1988 Game Fisher 15 HP for a 1977 10 HP Crysler Elec start. I know my motor is sound and has been maintained very well. The Crysler has been maintained, but not by myself but service records are available. question one is, are cryslers HP rating measured at the head or the prop? if so would that put the 10 HP Crysler at about an 7.5 or 8? I know my 15 is more like a 10 or a 12 measured at the head. All being said and done, would it be a decent trade? manual for Elec even though there is an age difference. If the HP rating is measured at the head like my gamefisher, the deal is not going to be going thru. I need all the speed I can get. Please guide me Oh wise ones of the water! I need some assistance on what to do here. I really like the option of electric start but don't want to take a leap backwards just to save from pulling my motor a few times versus the electric start and less HP.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need a quick opinion on a possible trade.

Go for the electric start.You won't notice the difference in HP.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I disagree. An engine 11 years older just for electric start? And with less power to boot? BAD trade. And, you will notice the 30 % less power too.

Besides, how important is electric start on an engine that size? Unless it is a sailor model with an alternator and you want to run electronics---no way Jose

hunterope

Seaman

I've got no electronics to run on the craft other then my fish finder and my trolling motor and they run off the deep cell bat... My lights are battery powered (D-Cell) so I don't worry about that either. I think I'm going to tell the gent that I'm going to pass on his offer. This 15 I have was like new when I got it 2 years ago. Other then some fading on the hood, everything was like new. I couldn't even find any of the normal dirt you find below the lower housing as you do in some older used motors. Hell, it still had the grease on the roller for the timing advance plate (silver plate that opens the carb) from the factory I replaced the impellar and the fuel pump and chucked in a carb kit just for fun and she run's very nice. Its a bit of a gas pig, but I can deal with that. I don't get much speed out of her either but she's been good to me and pulling her only take 2 or 3 to get her up and running from a cold start. Thank you both for the advice. I do appreciate it.

ezimmerm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm going to agree 100% with Frank on this one for the reasons he stated.

Sounds like a bad deal all around.