Need a little help with a couple things

Superbee

Seaman
I picked this boat up a few weeks ago, took it out for the first time Last Sunday the 17th, as a trail and error to see how everything did, i found out that most the gauges didn't work and the motor had alot of Blow By at Full throttle also wouldn't idle with water running in it, it come down to the exhaust manifolds were shot i try fixing them with very little luck, i spent the bucks and got new Manifolds it idle fine now in the water, the motor only has 1 Vacuum Port and it runs a device in the back of the boat that i believe forces it in Neutral (I could be Wrong) after what happen this weekend, at low speed it would not going into Neutral at all, at High speed it would go into Neutral every time, I placed a T in that line to run a PCV valve to cut down the blow by it helped but didn't stop it at Full throttle it will still puke Oil out the filler Cap I don't know if the Motor is under alot of Stress or What, an idea was to install a 1 inch Spacer under the carb for another Vacuum Port, i would have no problem doing that but i can't find or make the choke work right i posted what the boat did Sunday 3000Rpm at 38 MPH i have been told thats not right, if i did get it up to 4000 to 4200 Rpm will that cut down on Blow by? I have been told the Props for the II drive are hard to find and they are i can't find any Prop under 19 pitch.<br />I know these v-8 chevy motors back in the 60's had alot of blow by i would like to fix this with pcv valves.<br />Does anyone make a Small Electric Vacuum pump that can run that device? Any other way to get another Vacuum Port? Any Ideas at all?<br />Thanks

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Need a little help with a couple things

I don't want to be pickey, but is this all one sentence? It is damm hard to read and figure out what you are asking.<br /><br />Give details. What boat, what engine, what drive? Years, model, make, etc. I guess what you list at the end is the boat you are asking about, but can't tell that for sure.<br /><br />I see problems with guages, manifolds, blow by, neutral shifting, vacumn lines, oil out the filler cap, spacers for the carb(?), prop questions, vacuum pumps, .....<br /><br />List each problem/question separately. You will have a better shot at getting answers

Bondo

Staff member

I Agree with Jack,....... Punctuation is Our Friend.......<br /><br />Blowby Isn't Fixed with PCVs,+ Vacuum Ports.......<br /><br />The motor appears to be Worn Out........<br />
I know these v-8 chevy motors back in the 60's had alot of blow by i would like to fix this with pcv valves.
That's a New 1 on Me.........<br /><br />It's Repaired by Rebuilding the Motor,...........Not by Trying to Suck the Crap back into the intake................

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Superbee;<br /><br />Are you refering to the vaccum shift assist?<br />Check out my post on Nov 17, 2004. It has a picture of mine. Laddiesservice Identified it for me, as I was also confused. Good luck

Superbee

Seaman

Hi Safari<br /><br />Yup thats it Thanks, well now i know what it is and the reason it's not coming out of gear at low speeds<br />is because i cut the Vacuum to it.<br /><br />Sorry guys trying to ask to many questions at once<br />I will keep it short and sweat From now on.<br /><br />Does Someone make a small Vacuum Pump thats can be installed next to it?

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the blow-by is simply down to exessive bore/ring wear.. no way of stopping that.. except a rebore and new pistons..<br /><br />i once ran a car engine that was chucking so much oil out the valve cover vent that just to eak a few more weeks use out of it withou making too much mess i connected a half inch bore rubber pipe to the vent elbow.. this ran down to a gallon can i had mounted at the side of the engine.. the oil went into the can.. the can was vented to allow the pressure out but keep the oil in..<br /><br />when the can got about a third full i emptied the oil back into the engine.. and carried on.. ran it this way for several weeks.. the idea did actually work.. he he..<br /><br />a sad but perfectly true story..<br /><br />trog100

Superbee

Seaman

That could work i will give that a try, it only has the Massive Blow By at full throttle wierd thing is it has 170 to 180 pounds Compression in all Cyls.

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i wasnt really suggesting u follow my example.. just relating a story of something i did years ago in more desperate times.. and it was in an auto not a boat.. no danger of fumes building up in auto.. there is in a boat..<br /><br />but if u really insist on running the engine like that.. its probably better than letting the oil leak all over the place.. as for the fumes they want venting straight into the carb or out of the boat..<br /><br />i aint advising this option by the way.. in fact i have a strong suspicions about this one.. he he he..<br /><br />whatever u do superbee.. u do off your own bat.. i accept no responsibility.. the results of your actions are your own responsibility not mine..<br /><br />i dont like posting disclaimers.. but at this particular moment in time i have to.. sorry.. <br /><br />trog100

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Come on, this is not your means of transportation to get to work and earn a paycheck to feed your family. This is a boat...a play toy, something you put your family in for a day of fun. Why not find the problem and fix it, rather than trying to cover it up long enough to get in real trouble ?

Superbee

Seaman

well i really wasn't going to do that, i will fix the problem, i went to a Local Marine shop today he told me that those motors were good for that the old 283, 327's, told me to remove and plug the filler tube and install differnt Valve covers with a baffle and a PCV valve to fix the problem. With 170 to 180 psi in each cyl the engine is not shot.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Puking oil from the filler cap (your words not mine) is serious blowby, did you do the comp test or the previous owner? IMO you need to try a different comp gauge. <br /><br />Aldo

Bondo

Staff member

A Carboned Up Slug, bouncing up,+ down the bore will give Compression,...........<br />Do a Leak-Down Test................

Superbee

Seaman

I did the compression test, when i changed the spark plugs, i really don't know much about this Boat but what i have learned so far, i pick this up at a Police Auction for $150, I will try what he said and go from there, I just want it to make it this season and this winter i will rebuilt the motor if the boat works out well.